TED演讲:用建筑来获得疗愈(2)(在线收听

And there was my father, standing with me outside, admiring a day's work,

而我的父亲和我一起站在外面,欣赏着一天的工作,

hair on his head, fully in remission, when he turned to me and he said, "You know, Michael, this house saved my life."

他头上的发重新长了出来,他走向我对我说:“你知道迈克这栋房子救了我。”

So the following year, I decided to go to architecture school.

所以第二年我去了建筑学院。

But there, I learned something different about buildings.

在那儿我学到了关于楼房的很多不同的东西。

Recognition seemed to come to those who prioritized novel and sculptural forms, like ribbons, or ... pickles?

成名似乎都是给那些最先革新和雕塑的形式,比方说缎带或者是腌黄瓜条?

And I think this is supposed to be a snail.

但我认为这应该是一个蜗牛。

Something about this bothered me.

这很让我烦恼。

Why was it that the best architects, the greatest architecture -- all beautiful and visionary and innovative

为什么最好的建筑,最伟大的建筑,全是美丽、创新和标新立异的,

is also so rare, and seems to serve so very few?

而且极其罕见,并且只有少数人能够享受?

And more to the point: With all of this creative talent, what more could we do?

再加上一点:在这些创造性的天分之上,我们还能做些什么呢?

Just as I was about to start my final exams, I decided to take a break from an all-nighter

就在我要我开始我期末考试的时候,我决定从通宵的学习中偷个懒,

and go to a lecture by Dr. Paul Farmer, a leading health activist for the global poor.

我去了Paul Farmer医生的一个演讲,他是一个健康活动家领袖,为了全球的贫困而努力。

I was surprised to hear a doctor talking about architecture.

我很惊奇地听到一个医生谈论到关于楼房的事情。

Buildings are making people sicker, he said, and for the poorest in the world, this is causing epidemic-level problems.

他说,在全世界最贫困的地方,这引起了流行病程度上的问题。

In this hospital in South Africa, patients that came in with, say, a broken leg,

在南非的医院,比如说一个腿骨折的病人来到医院,

to wait in this unventilated hallway, walked out with a multidrug-resistant strand of tuberculosis.

在通风不好的大厅等候,就会带着几种抗药性的结核病菌种走出医院。

Simple designs for infection control had not been thought about, and people had died because of it.

根本没有想到为控制感染的简单设计,人们因此而死亡。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/TEDyj/sjp/540022.html