《简·爱》 Chapter 09 第九章(9)(在线收听

And shall I see you again, Helen, when I die?

海伦,我死掉后,还能再见到你吗?

You will come to the same region of happiness. be received by the same mighty, universal Parent, no doubt, dear Jane.

你会来到同一个幸福的地域,被同一个伟大的、普天下共有的父亲所接纳,毫无疑问,亲爱的简。

Again I questioned, but this time only in thought.

我又再次发问,不过这回只是想想而已。

Where is that region? Does it exist?

这个地域在哪儿?它存在不存在?

And I clasped my arms closer round Helen;

我用胳膊把海伦楼得更紧了。

she seemed dearer to me than ever;

她对我似乎比以往任何时候都要宝贵了,

I felt as if I could not let her go.

我仿佛觉得我不能让她走。

I lay with my face hidden on her neck.

我躺着把脸埋在她的颈窝里。

Presently she said, in the sweetest tone: "How comfortable I am! "

她立刻用最甜蜜的嗓音说:“我多么舒服啊!”

That last fit of coughing has tired me a little.

刚才那一阵子咳嗽弄得我有点儿累了,

I feel as if I could sleep, but don't leave me, Jane. I like to have you near me.

我好像是能睡着了,可是别离开我,简,我喜欢你在我身边。

I'll stay with you, DEAR Helen. no one shall take me away.

我会同你呆在一起的,亲爱的海伦。谁也不能把我撵走。

Are you warm, darling?

你暖和吗,亲爱的?

Yes.

是的。

Good-night, Jane.

晚安,简。

Good-night, Helen.

晚安,海伦。

She kissed me, and I her, and we both soon slumbered.

她吻了我,我吻了她,两人很快就睡熟了。

When I awoke it was day: An unusual movement roused me;

我醒来的时候已经是白天了。一阵异样的抖动把我弄醒了。

I looked up; I was in somebody's arms.

我抬起头来,发现自己正躺在别人的怀抱里。

The nurse held me. She was carrying me through the passage back to the dormitory.

那位护士抱着我,正穿过过道把我送回宿舍。

I was not reprimanded for leaving my bed;

我没有因为离开床位而受到责备。

People had something else to think about;

人们还有别的事儿要考虑。

No explanation was afforded then to my many questions;

我提出的很多问题也没有得到解释。

But a day or two afterwards I learned that Miss Temple, on returning to her own room at dawn, had found me laid in the little crib;

但一两天后我知道,坦普尔小姐在拂晓回房时,发现我躺在小床上。

My face against Helen Burns's shoulder, my arms round her neck.

我的脸蛋紧贴着海伦.彭斯的肩膀,我的胳膊搂着她的脖子。

I was asleep, and Helen was - dead.

我睡着了,而海伦-死了。

Her grave is in Brocklebridge churchyard.

她的坟墓在布罗克布里奇墓地。

For fifteen years after her death it was only covered by a grassy mound;

她去世后十五年中,墓上仅有一个杂草丛生的土墩。

But now a grey marble tablet marks the spot, inscribed with her name, and the word "Resurgam."

但现在一块灰色的大理石墓碑标出了这个地点,上面刻着她的名字及“重生”这个字。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jasy/549590.html