《简·爱》 Chapter 10 第十章(3)(在线收听

I went to my window, opened it, and looked out.

我走向窗子,把它打开,往外眺望。

There were the two wings of the building;

我看见了大楼的两翼。

There was the garden; there were the skirts of Lowood;

看见了花园,看见了罗沃德的边缘。

There was the hilly horizon.

看见了山峦起伏的地平线。

My eye passed all other objects to rest on those most remote, the blue peaks.

我的目光越过了其他东西,落在那些最遥远的蓝色山峰上。

It was those I longed to surmount;

正是那些山峰,我渴望去攀登。

All within their boundary of rock and heath seemed prison-ground, exile limits.

荒凉不堪岩石嶙峋的边界之内,仿佛是囚禁地,是放逐的极限。

I traced the white road winding round the base of one mountain, and vanishing in a gorge between two;

我跟踪那条白色的路蜿蜒着绕过一座山的山脚,消失在两山之间的峡谷之中。

How I longed to follow it farther!

我多么希望继续跟着它往前走啊!

I recalled the time when I had travelled that very road in a coach;

我忆起了我乘着马车沿着那条路走的日子。

I remembered descending that hill at twilight;

我记得在薄暮中驶下了山。

An age seemed to have elapsed since the day which brought me first to Lowood, and I had never quitted it since.

自从我被第一次带到罗沃德时起,仿佛一个世纪己经过去,但我从来没有离开过这里。

My vacations had all been spent at school:

假期都是在学校里度过的。

Mrs. Reed had never sent for me to Gateshead;

里德太太从来没有把我接到盖茨黑德去过。

Neither she nor any of her family had ever been to visit me.

不管是她本人,还是家里的其他人,从未来看过我。

I had had no communication by letter or message with the outer world:

我与外部世界既没有书信往来,也不通消息。

School-rules, school-duties, school-habits and notions, and voices, and faces, and phrases, and costumes, and preferences, and antipathies — such was what I knew of existence.

学校的规定、任务、习惯、观念、音容、语言、服饰、好恶,就是我所知道的生活内容。

And now I felt that it was not enough;

而如今我觉得这很不够。

I tired of the routine of eight years in one afternoon.

一个下午之间,我对八年的常规生活突然感到厌倦了。

I desired liberty; for liberty I gasped; for liberty I uttered a prayer.

我憧憬自由,我渴望自由,我为自由作了一个祷告。

It seemed scattered on the wind then faintly blowing.

这祈祷似乎被驱散,融入了微风之中。

I abandoned it and framed a humbler supplication; for change, stimulus:

我放弃了祈祷,设想了一个更谦卑的祈求,祈求变化,祈求刺激。

That petition, too, seemed swept off into vague space: "Then," I cried, half desperate, "grant me at least a new servitude!"

而这恳求似乎也被吹进了浩茫的宇宙。“那么”,我近乎绝望地叫道,“至少赐予我一种新的苦役吧!”

Here a bell, ringing the hour of supper, called me downstairs.

这时,晚饭铃响了,把我召唤到了楼下。

I was not free to resume the interrupted chain of my reflections till bedtime.

直到睡觉的时候,我才有空继续那被打断了的沉思。

Even then a teacher who occupied the same room with me kept me from the subject to which I longed to recur, by a prolonged effusion of small talk.

即便在那时,同房间的一位教师还絮絮叨叨闲聊了好久,使我没法回到我所渴望的问题上。

How I wished sleep would silence her.

我多么希望瞌睡会使她闭上嘴巴!

It seemed as if, could I but go back to the idea which had last entered my mind as I stood at the window, some inventive suggestion would rise for my relief.

仿佛只要我重新思考伫立窗前时闪过脑际的念头,某个独特的想法便会自己冒出来,使我得以解脱似的。

Miss Gryce snored at last;

格丽丝小姐终于打瞌了。

She was a heavy Welshwoman, and till now her habitual nasal strains had never been regarded by me in any other light than as a nuisance.

她是一位笨重的威尔士女人,在此之前我对她惯常的鼻音曲除了认为讨厌,没有别的看法。

Tonight I hailed the first deep notes with satisfaction.

而今晚我满意地迎来了它最初的深沉曲调。

I was debarrassed of interruption. My half-effaced thought instantly revived.

我免除了打扰,心中那抹去了一半的想法又立刻复活了。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jasy/549593.html