《简·爱》 Chapter 10 第十章(5)(在线收听

With earliest day, I was up.

第二天我一大早就起来了。

I had my advertisement written, enclosed, and directed before the bell rang to rouse the school.

没等起床铃把全校吵醒就写好了广告,封入信封,写上了地址。

It ran thus: "A young lady accustomed to tuition" (had I not been a teacher two years? )

信上说:“现有一位年轻女士,熟悉教学(我不是做了两年的教师吗?)。

Is desirous of meeting with a situation in a private family where the children are under fourteen.

愿谋一家庭教师职位,儿童年龄须幼于十四岁。

I thought that as I was barely eighteen, it would not do to undertake the guidance of pupils nearer my own age.

我想自己才十八岁,要指导一个跟我年龄相仿的人是断然不行的。

She is qualified to teach the usual branches of a good English education, together with French, Drawing, and Music,

该女士能胜任良好的英国教育所含的普通课科,以及法文、绘画和音乐的教学,

in those days, reader, this now narrow catalogue of accomplishments, would have been held tolerably comprehensive.

读者呀,现在这张狭窄的技能表,在那个时代还算是比较广博的。

Address, J.E. , Post-office, Lowton.

回信请寄××郡洛顿邮局,J.E.。

This document remained locked in my drawer all day.

这份文件在我抽屉里整整锁了一天。

After tea, I asked leave of the new superintendent to go to Lowton,

用完茶点以后,我向新来的校长请假去洛顿,

in order to perform some small commissions for myself and one or two of my fellow-teachers.

为自己也为一两位共事的老师办些小事。

Permission was readily granted. I went.

她欣然允诺,于是我便去了。

It was a walk of two miles, and the evening was wet, but the days were still long.

一共有两英里步行路程,傍晚还下着雨,好在白昼依然很长。

I visited a shop or two, slipped the letter into the post-office,

我逛了一两家商店,把信塞进邮局,

and came back through heavy rain, with streaming garments, but with a relieved heart.

冒着大雨回来,外衣都淌着水,但心里如释重负。

The succeeding week seemed long.

接着的那个星期似乎很长。

It came to an end at last, however, like all sublunary things,

然而,它像世间的万物一样,终于到了尽头。

and once more, towards the close of a pleasant autumn day, I found myself afoot on the road to Lowton.

一个秋高气爽的傍晚,我再次踏上了去洛顿的路途。

A picturesque track it was, by the way, lying along the side of the beck and through the sweetest curves of the dale:

顺便提一句,小路风景如画,沿着小溪向前延伸,穿过弯弯曲曲秀色诱人的山谷。

But that day I thought more of the letters,

不过那天我想得更多的是那封可能在,

that might or might not be awaiting me at the little burgh whither I was bound, than of the charms of lea and water.

可能不在小城等着我的信,而不是草地和溪水的魅力。

My ostensible errand on this occasion was to get measured for a pair of shoes.

这时我冠冕堂皇的差使是度量脚码做一双鞋。

So I discharged that business first, and when it was done,

所以我先去干这件事。了却以后,

I stepped across the clean and quiet little street from the shoemaker's to the post-office.

从鞋匠那儿出来,穿过洁净安宁的小街,来到邮局。

It was kept by an old dame, who wore horn spectacles on her nose, and black mittens on her hands.

管理员是位老妇人,鼻梁上架着角质眼镜,手上戴着黑色露指手套。

"Are there any letters for J.E. ?" I asked.

“有写给J.E的信吗?”我问。

She peered at me over her spectacles, and then she opened a drawer and fumbled among its contents for a long time,

她从眼镜上方盯着我,随后打开一个抽屉,在里面放着的东西中间翻了好久好久。

so long that my hopes began to falter.

时间那么长,我简直开始有些泄气了。

At last, having held a document before her glasses for nearly five minutes,

最后,她终于把一份文件放到眼镜底上,过了将近五分钟,

she presented it across the counter, accompanying the act by another inquisitive and mistrustful glance — it was for J.E.

才越过柜台,递给我,同时投过来刨根究底,疑虑重重的一瞥,这封信是写给J.E.的。

"Is there only one?" I demanded.

“就只有这么一封?”我问。

"There are no more," said she.

“没有了,”她说。

And I put it in my pocket and turned my face homeward.

我把信放进口袋,回头就走。

I could not open it then.

当时我不能拆开。

Rules obliged me to be back by eight, and it was already half-past seven.

按照规定我得八点前返回,而这时已经七点半了。

Various duties awaited me on my arrival.

一到家便有种种事务等着我去做。

I had to sit with the girls during their hour of study.

姑娘们做功课时我得陪坐着。

Then it was my turn to read prayers; to see them to bed.

随后是轮到我读祷告,照应她们上床。

Afterwards I supped with the other teachers.

在此之后,我与其他教师吃了晚饭。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jasy/549595.html