《简·爱》 Chapter 29 第二十九章(18)(在线收听

"I am an orphan, the daughter of a clergyman.

“我是一个孤儿,一个牧师的女儿。

My parents died before I could know them.

我还不能记事父母就去世了。

I was brought up a dependant; educated in a charitable institution.

我靠人赡养长大,在一个慈善机构受了教育。

I will even tell you the name of the establishment,

我甚至可以告诉你这个机构的名字,

where I passed six years as a pupil, and two as a teacher -- Lowood Orphan Asylum, shire:

在那里我做了六年学生,两年教师--xx郡罗沃德孤儿院,

you will have heard of it, Mr. Rivers? -- the Rev. Robert Brocklehurst is the treasurer."

你可能听到过它,里弗斯先主?罗伯特·布罗克赫斯特牧师是司库。”

"I have heard of Mr. Brocklehurst, and I have seen the school."

“我听说过布罗克赫斯特先生,也见过这学校。”

"I left Lowood nearly a year since to become a private governess.

“差不多一年前我离开了罗沃德,去当私人家庭教师。

I obtained a good situation, and was happy. This place I was obliged to leave four days before I came here.

我得到了一份很好的工作,也很愉快。来这里的四天前,我不得不离开那个地方。

The reason of my departure I cannot and ought not to explain: it would be useless, dangerous, and would sound incredible.

离开的原因我不能也不该解释,就是解释也没有用,会招来危险,听起来也难以令人置信。

No blame attached to me: I am as free from culpability as any one of you three.

我没有责任,像你们三位中的任何一位那样是无罪的。

Miserable I am, and must be for a time;

我很难过,以后一段时间还得这样,

for the catastrophe which drove me from a house I had found a paradise was of a strange and direful nature.

因为把我从我看作天堂的房子里赶出来的原因,奇怪而可怕。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jasy/550253.html