《简·爱》 Chapter 29 第二十九章(20)(在线收听

"Don't make her talk any more now, St. John," said Diana, as I paused;

“这会儿别要她再谈下去了,圣·约翰,”我停下来时黛安娜说。

"she is evidently not yet fit for excitement.

“显然她不宜激动,

Come to the sofa and sit down now, Miss Elliott."

上沙发这儿来,坐下吧,爱略特小姐。”

I gave an involuntary half start at hearing the alias:

一听这个别名,我不由自主地微微一惊,

I had forgotten my new name.

我己忘了我新起的名字。

Mr. Rivers, whom nothing seemed to escape, noticed it at once.

但什么都逃不过他眼睛的里弗斯先生,立刻注意到了。

"You said your name was Jane Elliott?" he observed.

“你说你的名字叫简·爱略特是吗?”他说,

"I did say so;

“我是这么说过的,

and it is the name by which I think it expedient to be called at present,

这个名字,我想是作为权宜之计暂时用用的,

but it is not my real name, and when I hear it, it sounds strange to me."

但不是我的真名、所以初一听有些陌生。”

"Your real name you will not give?"

“你不愿讲你的真名,”

"No: I fear discovery above all things;

“不愿。我尤其担心被人发现。

and whatever disclosure would lead to it, I avoid."

凡是要导致这种后果的事,我都要避开,”

"You are quite right, I am sure," said Diana.

“我敢肯定你做得很对,”黛安娜说。

"Now do, brother, let her be at peace a while."

“现在,哥哥,一定得让她安宁,一会儿了。”

But when St. John had mused a few moments he recommenced as imperturbably and with as much acumen as ever.

但是,圣·约翰静默了一会儿后,又开腔了,还是像刚才那样目光敏锐,不慌不忙。

"You would not like to be long dependent on our hospitality --

“你不愿长期依赖我们的好客吧—一

you would wish, I see, to dispense as soon as may be with my sisters' compassion,

我看你会希望尽快摆脱我妹妹们的怜悯,

and, above all, with my charity (I am quite sensible of the distinction drawn, nor do I resent it -- it is just):

尤其是我的慈善(我对他的强调很敏感,但也不生气——因为那是正当的),

you desire to be independent of us?"

你希望不依赖我们吗?”

"I do: I have already said so.

“是的。我已经这么说过了。

Show me how to work, or how to seek work: that is all I now ask;

告诉我怎么干活,或者怎么找活干,这就是我现在所要求的,

then let me go, if it be but to the meanest cottage;

然后我走,即使是到最简陋的草屋去———

but till then, allow me to stay here:

但在那之前,请让我呆在这儿,

I dread another essay of the horrors of homeless destitution."

我害怕再去品尝无家可归饥寒交迫的恐怖。”

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jasy/550255.html