华盛顿邮报 英国迎来史上最热一天--而全国只有5%住宅有空调(1)(在线收听

Hi. This is Karla Adam. I'm a reporter in London, where it is hot, hot, hot.

嗨。我是卡拉·亚当。我是伦敦的一名记者,伦敦很热,很热,很热。

Today is the hottest day on record in the U.K. Like, ever.

今天是英国有史以来最热的一天。从来没这么热过。

We are at record-breaking temperatures today.

今天的气温打破了记录。

I slapped on some sunscreen and a hat and ventured out to a council estate, or social housing block, in North London.

我涂上防晒霜,戴上帽子,冒险去了伦敦北部的一个市建住房区,或者说是社会住宅区。

Hi, there. I'm sorry to bother you. My name is Karla.

你好。很抱歉打扰你。我叫卡拉。

I work for The Washington Post, and I'm writing a story today about today is the hottest day...

我在《华盛顿邮报》工作,我今天要写一篇关于今天是最热的一天的报道……

Karla spent the day talking to people who live in a public-housing complex called Chalcots Estate.

卡拉花了一整天的时间与住在一个名为夏科茨庄园的公共住宅区的人们交谈。

And today, it was very much a hot house.

今天,这座房子非常热。

And like many homes across the U.K., both public and private housing, most of the ones in these tower blocks didn't have air-conditioning.

与英国各地的许多住宅一样,无论是公共住房还是私人住房,这些塔式大楼里的大多数住宅都没有空调。

In the flat, it's crazy. You got the fans just blowing out hot air.

在公寓里,太疯狂了。风扇吹出的都是热气。

One of the people that Karla spoke with was Paul Rafis.

与卡拉交谈的人之一是保罗·拉菲斯。

All night, you can't sleep.

整个晚上,你都睡不着觉。

It's just -- the humidity, it's absolutely crazy.

太潮湿了,简直让人抓狂。

There's nothing you can do. You just got to sort of grin and bear it.

你什么也做不了。你只能默默忍受。

Plenty of water.

大量的水。

Getting up several times in the night, you know?

晚上起来好几次,你知道吗?

But when it's hot, you suffer in these blocks.

但天热的时候,你只能在这些大楼里受苦。

Today, we'll hear how record-breaking heat in the U.K. has climate scientists all over the world very worried.

今天,我们将听到英国破纪录的高温是如何让世界各地的气候科学家感到担忧的。

And we'll also turn to the U.S., where President Biden is scrambling to figure out how to deliver on climate action without the help of Joe Manchin.

我们还将转向美国,拜登总统正在努力想办法在没有乔·曼钦帮助的情况下实施气候行动。

It is hot as crackers. It is hot as the devil's kitchen. It is very hot.

热疯了。热得像呆在魔鬼的厨房。天气太热了。

It just crested 40 degrees Celsius.

温度刚刚达到40摄氏度。

So that puts us at 104 degrees Fahrenheit and above. Still headed up.

我们的温度在华氏104度以上。温度还在上升。

Temperatures in the U.K. have been recorded in one way or another since the year 1659, and no one has seen a day as hot as this one.

自1659年以来,英国就以这样或那样的方式记录了气温,没有人见过像今天这么热的一天。

But as Post London bureau chief William Booth says, this is likely just the beginning.

但正如《华盛顿邮报》伦敦分社社长威廉·布斯所说,这可能只是开始。

Britain is, like, the home of climate science and the home of these long, long term meteorological observations.

英国是气候科学的发源地,也是这些长期气象观测的发源地。

And scientists here didn't think they would hit 104 degrees, or 40 degrees Celsius, probably for some years out into the future.

这里的科学家们认为气温不会达到华氏104度(40摄氏度),可能在未来几年内都不会达到这个气温。

And so they saw some climate modeling at the end of June that forecast that maybe -- maybe -- Britain would reach these numbers today.

他们在六月底看到一些气候模型,预测英国也许今天会达到这个温度。

And most of them did not believe it.

大多数人都不相信。

I mean, these are scientific experts who looked at some modeling and said, "There's no way. There's no way, bro. It's not going to get this hot."

我的意思是,这些科学专家看了一些模型后说,“不可能。不可能的,兄弟。不会这么热的。”

But it did get this hot, and they're floored.

但确实有这么热,而且热得不知所措。

It's a heat wave, but it's like a super heat wave.

这是一股热浪,不过像是超级热浪。

And so it's hitting numbers that they didn't expect to happen for some years, and it's become a more frequent event.

温度达到了他们几年来都没有预料到的数字,这成为了一个更频繁的事件。

It's not a hundred-year event or every thousand-year event.

这不是百年事件,也不是千年事件。

It's going to be, in the future, if we don't change our course, you know, a one in every three year event, which has people frightened.

在未来,如果我们不改变我们的路线,每三年就会发生一起事件,这让人们感到害怕。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hsdyb/551528.html