巴斯克威尔的猎犬 梅利琵宅邸的主人斯台普吞(3)(在线收听

 

  Sir Henry had numerous papers to examine after breakfast, so that the time was propitious formy excursion. It was a pleasant walk of four miles along the edge of the moor, leading me at lastto a small gray hamlet, in which two larger buildings, which proved to be the inn and the house ofDr. Mortimer, stood high above the rest. The postmaster, who was also the village grocer, had aclear recollection of the telegram.

  早餐之后, 亨利爵士有很多文件要看, 因此这段时间恰好可以让我出门了。 这是一次令人愉快的散步, 我沿着沼地的边缘走了 四英里路, 最后走到了一个荒凉单调的小村, 村中有两所较其余都高的大房子, 事后知道一所是客栈, 一所是摩梯末医生的房子, 那位邮政局长——又是本村的食品杂货商, 对那封电报记得很清楚。

  "Certainly, sir," said he, "I had the telegram delivered to Mr. Barrymore exactly as directed."“肯定的, 先生, ” 他说道,“我是完全按照指示叫人将那封电报送交白瑞摩先生的。”

  "Who delivered it?"

  “谁送去的? ”

  "My boy here. James, you delivered that telegram to Mr. Barrymore at the Hall last week, didyou not?"

  “我的小孩送去的。 杰姆士, 上星期是你把那封电报送交住在庄园的白瑞摩先生的, 是不是? ”

  "Yes, father, I delivered it."

  “是的, 爸爸, 是我送的。”

  "Into his own hands?" I asked.

  “是他亲手收到的吗? ” 我问道。

  "Well, he was up in the loft at the time, so that I could not put it into his own hands, but Igave it into Mrs. Barrymore's hands, and she promised to deliver it at once."“啊, 当时他正在楼上呢, 所以我没有能亲自交到他手, 可是, 我把它交到了 白瑞摩太太的手里了, 她答应说马上就送上去。”

  "Did you see Mr. Barrymore?"

  “你看到白瑞摩先生了吗? ”

  "No, sir; I tell you he was in the loft."“没有, 先生, 我跟您说他是在楼上呢。”

  "If you didn't see him, how do you know he was in the loft?"“如果你并没有看到他, 你怎么能知道他是在楼上呢? ”

  "Well, surely his own wife ought to know where he is," said the postmaster testily. "Didn't heget the telegram? If there is any mistake it is for Mr. Barrymore himself to complain."“噢, 当然他自己的妻子应该知道他在什么地方啊!” 邮政局长有些愠怒地说道,“究竟他收到了那份电报没有? 如果发生了任何差错, 也应该是白瑞摩先生自己来质问啊。”

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/556798.html