2023年经济学人 充分利用领英(1)(在线收听

  Business

  商业板块

  Bartleby: Making the most of LinkedIn

  巴托比:充分利用领英

  How to survive and thrive on the business world’s favourite social network

  如何在商界最受欢迎的社交网络上生存和发展

  Social media and career development typically don’t mix.

  社交媒体和职业发展通常不能混为一谈。

  Doom-scrolling Elon Musk’s tweets or getting sucked into the latest TikTok craze do not exactly enhance your work prospects.

  翻看埃隆·马斯克的推文,或沉浸在最新的抖音热潮中,都并不能提升就业前景。

  Unless, that is, the social network in question is LinkedIn.

  除非这个社交网络是领英。

  Founded in 2003 in Silicon Valley as a platform for professional networking, and purchased in 2016 by Microsoft for $26bn, it has become a fixture of corporate cyberspace, with more than 800m registered users worldwide.

  领英于2003年在硅谷创立,最初是一个职业社交平台,2016年被微软以260亿美元收购,现已成为企业网络空间的固定平台,在全球拥有逾8亿注册用户。

  Its 171m American members outnumber the country’s labour force.

  其1.71亿美国会员的数量超过了该国的劳动力。

  High-school students are creating profiles to include with their college applications.

  高中生正在创建个人资料,纳入他们的大学申请。

  The chances are you probably have one, too.

  很有可能你也有一个。

  How do you make the most of it?

  怎样充分利用它呢?

  For those who have yet to link up with LinkedIn, the first, critical, step is fashioning your profile.

  对于那些还没有连接过领英的人来说,第一步也是关键的一步是塑造个人资料。

  First, choose a slick photo: think visionary resolve meets empathetic authenticity.

  首先,选择一张漂亮的照片:不妨用既能体现自己富有远见的决心,又能体现善解人意的真实性的照片。

  Next, list your educational and professional history.

  接下来,列出教育和职业经历。

  Remember, nothing is too trivial.

  记住,多详细都不为过。

  Went to a selective kindergarten?

  上的是择优录取的幼儿园吗?

  Say so; it illustrates that you were a winner from a tender age.

  就说是,这说明你从小就是赢家。

  As you draw up your list, make sure that it reads in the most deadpan way possible: no adjectives, no personal touch.

  描述经历时,尽可能确保它读起来不带感情色彩:没有形容词,没有个人风格。

  The mechanical and the matter-of-fact is at a premium.

  机械般的用语和实事求是的描述都是很重要的。

  Armed with your profile, you can get down to business and begin creating your network.

  有了个人资料,就可以开始着手创建自己的网络了。

  You need to have 500 or more connections in your profile to be taken seriously.

  你的个人资料中需要有500个或更多的联系人,别人才会认真对待你。

  To achieve this, you need to step out of your comfort zone and accost complete strangers.

  要做到这一点,你需要走出舒适区,去和完全陌生的人搭讪。

  Do not treat it as you would inviting classmates you do not know to your birthday party, which in real life makes you look desperate.

  不要像邀请陌生同学参加你的生日聚会那样搭讪,这种做法在现实生活中会让你看起来很绝望。

  On LinkedIn, cringeworthy is not part of the lexicon.

  在领英的字典里,就没有“畏首畏尾”这个词。

  Your columnist, a guest Bartleby, has amassed 6,315 connections, of whom she actually knows maybe 300.

  笔者已经积累了6315个人脉,其中真正认识的可能也就300人。

  Remember that cousin Dimitris your mother always mentions on the phone, who works at Bain Capital in Boston?

  还记得你妈在电话里经常提到的表弟迪米特里斯吗?他在波士顿的贝恩资本工作。

  What better way than an innocuous LinkedIn invite to reconnect—and get a toehold in his private-equity network.

  通过领英这种没有恶意的平台向他发出邀请,与其重新建立联系--然后在他的私募股权网络中站稳脚跟,没有比这更好的方式了。

  And that man who sat next to you on the red-eye back from Chicago?

  那个从芝加哥坐夜间航班回来时坐在你旁边的人呢?

  Even if you recall only his first name and the company he works at, LinkedIn’s algorithm should be able to let you track him down with relative ease.

  即使你只记得他的名字和他工作的公司,领英的算法应该也能让你相对容易地找到他。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jjxrhj/2023jjxr/556828.html