巴斯克维尔的猎犬 华生医生的第二份报告(19)(在线收听

 

  "My God, what's that, Watson?"

  “我的上帝啊, 那是什么呀, 华生? ”

  "I don't know. It's a sound they have on the moor. I heard it once before."“我不知道。 那是来自沼地的声音, 我曾经听见过一次。”

  It died away, and an absolute silence closed in upon us. We stood straining our ears, butnothing came.

  声音已经没有了, 死一样的沉寂紧紧地包围了我们。 我们站在那里侧耳倾听, 可是什么也听不见了。

  "Watson," said the baronet, "it was the cry of a hound."“华生,” 准男爵说道,“这是猎狗的叫声。”

  My blood ran cold in my veins, for there was a break in his voice which told of the suddenhorror which had seized him.

  我感觉浑身的血都凉了, 因为他的话里时有停顿, 说明他已突然地产生了恐惧。

  "What do they call this sound?" he asked.

  “他们把这声音叫什么呢? ” 他问道。

  "Who?"

  “谁呀? ”

  "The folk on the countryside."

  “乡 下人啊!”

  "Oh, they are ignorant people. Why should you mind what they call it?"“啊, 他们都是些没有知识的人, 您何必管他们把那声音叫什么呢!”

  "Tell me, Watson. What do they say of it?"“告诉我, 华生, 他们怎么说的? ”

  I hesitated but could not escape the question.

  我犹豫了一下, 可是没法逃避这问题。

  "They say it is the cry of the Hound of the Baskervilles."“他们说那就是巴斯克维尔猎狗的叫声。”

  He groaned and was silent for a few moments.

  他咕哝了一阵以后, 又沉默了一会儿。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/557261.html