英语小达人 242 Dear Mom and Dad(在线收听) |
Dear Mom and Dad 亲爱的爸爸妈妈
Bob is almost 29 years old, his friends have already gotten married, and Bob just dates and dates.
鲍勃快29岁了,他的朋友们都结婚了,只有鲍勃还在不停地约会再约会。
Finally a friend asked him, "What's the matter, Bob, are you looking for the perfect woman? Are you that particular? Can't you find anyone who suits you?"
一个朋友终于忍不住问他:“鲍勃,你是怎么回事啊?你在找完美的女人吗?你有那么挑剔吗?你就不能只是找一个适合你的人吗?”
"No," Bob replied. "I met many nice girls, but as soon as I brought them home to meet my parents, my Mother didn't like them. So I kept on looking!"
“不是我挑剔,”鲍勃答道,“我遇到过不少好女孩,可是我把她们带回家见父母时,我妈妈都不喜欢。所以我还在找!”
"Listen," his friend suggested, "Why don't you find a girl who's just like your dear old Mother?"
“听着,”他的朋友建议说,“你为什么不找一个和你亲爱的妈妈一样的女孩呢?”
Several months went by and again Bob and his friend got together.
几个月后,鲍勃和这个朋友又见面了。
"So Bob. Did you find the perfect girl yet? One that just like your Mother?"
“怎么样,鲍勃,找到那个完美女人了吗?那个像你妈妈的人?”
Bob shrugged his shoulders, "Yes, I found one just like Mom. My mother loved her, they became fast friends."
鲍勃耸耸肩膀,说:“是的,我找到一个像我妈妈的。我妈妈很喜欢她,她们俩马上就成了朋友。”
"So are you and this girl engaged?"
“那么你要和她订婚了吗?”
"I'm afraid not, my Father can't stand her!"
“恐怕还是不行,这回是我爸爸受不了她!”
重点讲解:
1. keep on doing sth.
继续做某事;反复做某事;
eg. My wife keeps on saying that I work too hard.
我妻子总说我工作太辛苦了。
eg. To know it's no use , but keep on doing it -- there can be no greater folly than this.
知其不可而为之,愚不可及也.
2. go by
(时间)流逝,过去;遵循;遵照;
eg. My grandmother was becoming more and more sad and frail as the years went by.
随着时间的流逝,我的祖母变得日益伤感和虚弱。
eg. If they prove that I was wrong, then I'll go by what they say.
如果他们能证明我不对,我就听他们的。
3. get together
开会;聚会;
eg. This is the only forum where East and West can get together.
这是东西方可以聚首的唯一论坛。
eg. Let's get together and talk it over.
大家聚在一起商量商量。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/yyxdr/238650.html |