First, she taught me how to read.
首先,她教会了我认字。
She also taught me that when I forgave Sis for our squabbles, it meant I wouldn't keep feeling like a victim.
而且,在她身上我还学会一样东西,让我不再记恨于与我争吵的姐姐,让我不再觉得委屈,
Instead, I would feel sunny.
心情因此也就开朗起来。
Mr. Dinking, the local banker, tried to foreclose on Greta's house and land after her husband passed away.
在葛丽塔的丈夫去世后,当地的银行家丁肯先生曾经要收取她抵押给了银行的房子。
Thanks to Pa and Uncle Johan, Greta got to keep everything.
幸亏有爸爸和约翰叔叔的帮忙,葛丽塔才保住了一切。
Pa said that it was the least he could do for someone talented enough to teach me to read!
爸爸说,对一位聪明得能教会我认字的人,这只是他力所能及的一件小事!
Soon folks were coming from miles around to buy Greta's homemade cakes, pies, breads, cookies, cider, and ice cream.
很快,方圆数英里的人们都来买葛丽塔做的蛋糕、馅饼、面包、曲奇饼、苹果酒和冰淇淋。
Hank, the grocery store man, came each week to stock his shelves and bring Greta supplies.
每周,杂货店老板汉克都会给她送来材料,并从她那里进货。
Greta even had me take a big apple pie to Mr. Dinking who became one of her best customers and friends.
葛丽塔甚至让我给丁肯先生送去一个大苹果馅饼。他也成为了她的顾客和朋友。
That's just how Greta was.
这就是葛丽塔。
She could turn anyone into a friend!
她可以把任何人都变成朋友!
Greta always said, "Dear, keep walking in sunshine!"
葛丽塔常说:亲爱的,记得要走在阳光里!”
No matter how terrible my day started, I always felt sunny walking home from Greta's house-even beneath the winter starlight.
每天,不管一开始怎么糟糕,从葛丽塔的小屋走回家时,即使是披着冬夜的星光,我都会感觉心情舒畅。
I arrived at Greta's house today just after sunset.
这天,太阳刚下山我就来到葛丽塔家了。
An ambulance had stopped a few feet from her door, it's red lights flashing.
她门前几尺外已然停着一辆救护车。车上的红灯闪烁不停。
When I ran into the old house, Greta recognized me right away.
当我冲入那所旧房子时,葛丽塔立刻认出了我.
She smiled at me with her unforgettable twinkling blue eyes.
她冲我微微一笑,令人难忘的那双蓝眼睛闪着光芒。
She was almost out of breath when she reached out and softly touched my arm.
当她伸手轻抚我的手臂时,她已经奄奄一息了。
Her last words to me were "Dear, keep walking in sunshine!"
她最后对我说的话是:亲爱的,记得要走在阳光里!”
I'm sure that Greta is walking in the brightest sunshine she's ever seen.
我肯定葛丽塔此时正漫步在她所见过的最明媚的阳光里。
And, I'm sure that she heard every word I read at her memorial service.
我也肯定她听见了我在她的追悼仪式上所念的每一个字。
I chose a beautiful verse by Leo Buscaglia. It's one that Greta taught me to read many years ago…
我选了利奥?巴斯卡格里亚的一首优美的诗,正是那首葛丽塔多年前教我念的诗。
Love can never grow old. Locks may lose their brown and gold.
爱能历久常新。华发或会失去原有的光彩。
Cheeks may fade and hollow grow.
双颊或会日显消瘦黯淡。
But the hearts that love will know, never winter's frost and chill, summer's warmth is in them still.
然而,有爱的心中,从无寒冬霜冰,只有夏之温热。 |