Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions. They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor does it entitle us to do as we please. Instead, they knew that our power grows through its prudent use; our security emanates from the justness of our cause, the force of our example, the tempering qualities of humility and restraint.
回顾过去,几代人在战胜法西斯主义时依靠的不仅仅是导弹和坦克,更是牢固的联盟和不渝的信念。他们懂得单凭实力无法保护我们的安全,实力也并不赋予我们随心所欲的权利。相反,他们知道审慎使用实力会使我们更强大;我们的安全源于事业的正义性、典范的感召力以及谦卑和克制的品行。
We are the keepers of this legacy. Guided by these principles once more, we can meet those new threats that demand even greater effort-even greater cooperation and understanding between nations. We will begin to responsibly leave Iraq to its people, and forge a hard-earned peace in Afghanistan. With old friends and former foes, we will work tirelessly to lessen the nuclear threat, and roll back the specter of a warming planet. We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you.
我们是这一传统的继承者。我们只要重新以这些原则为指导,就能应对那些新威胁,为此必须付出更大的努力——推动国家间更多的合作与理解。我们将开始以负责任的方式把伊拉克移交给伊拉克人民,并在阿富汗巩固来之不易的和平。我们将与多年的朋友和昔日的对手一道不懈努力减轻核威胁,扭转全球变暖的厄运。我们不会在价值观念上退缩,也不会动摇捍卫它的决心,对于那些妄图以煽动恐怖和屠杀无辜的手段达到其目的的人,我们现在就告诉你们,我们的意志更加顽强、坚不可摧;你们无法拖垮我们,我们必将战胜你们。
For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus, and non-believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth; and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation, and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but belive that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself; and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace.
因为我们知道,我们百纳而成的传统是一种优势,而不是劣势。我们是一个由基督教徒和穆斯林教徒、犹太教徒和印度教徒以及无宗教信仰者组成的国家。我们受惠于地球上四面八方每一种语言和文化的影响。由于我们尝过南北战争和种族隔离的苦水,走出了那个黑暗时代并变得更加坚强和团结,我们不能不相信昔日的仇恨终有一天会成为过去;种族之间的界线很快就会消失;随着世界变得越来越小,我们共同的人性将得到彰显;美国必须为迎来一个和平的新纪元发挥自己的作用。
重点讲解:
1. face down
(威风凛凛地)挫败,战胜;
eg. He's confronted crowds before and faced them down.
他曾面对众人,把他们镇住了。
eg. We must face down the forces of reaction.
我们必须挫败反动势力。
2. entitle sb. to do sth.
给予…权利;给予…资格;
eg. There are 23 Clubs throughout the U.S., and your membership entitles you to enjoy all of them.
全美共有23家俱乐部,您的会员资格可让您享受所有俱乐部的服务。
eg. The documents which you have entitle you to drawback for duties paid.
你拥有的这些文件使你有权退税。
3. emanate from
来自(于);(从…)散发出;
eg. These are said to emanate from Henry Kissinger.
据说这些是亨利·基辛格出的主意。
eg. The heady aroma of wood fires emanated from the stove.
炉子里散发出木柴燃烧时的浓烈香味。
4. roll back
逐渐减少;逐步结束;
eg. Environmentalists regard these moves as the government taking advantage of the national mood to roll back protective measures.
环保主义者认为这些是政府利用国民情绪来减少保护措施的举措。
eg. Most major political reforms of the past five years would be rolled back.
过去5年中的大多数重大政治改革都将偃旗息鼓。
5. emerge from
(从困境或不好的经历中)摆脱出来,熬出来;
eg. He'll never be able to emerge from his bathos of coarseness and ignorance.
他永远也不能从他那粗野无知中解脱出来。
eg. Emerging markets used to be known as the markets you couldn't emerge from in an emergency.
新兴市场过去常常被称作你在危急时刻脱不了身的市场。
6. can't help but do sth.
不得不;不能不;必须;
eg. I cannot help but be astonished by that acrobat.
我不能不为那杂技演员的表演而深为惊讶。
eg. I can't help but obey the order.
我没办法,只好服从命令。
7. usher in
开启;迎来;引入;
eg. We hope to usher in a more secure, stable, peaceful and equitable world order.
我们希望创立一个更为安全、稳定、和平与平等的国际秩序。
eg. This would usher in a new revolution in physics.
而这将引发一场物理学的新革命。 |