The trees they grow high, 树儿高高生长,
The leaves they do grow green,叶儿嫩绿嫩绿
Many is the time my true love I’ve seen, 很早我就见到了我的爱人
Many an hour I have watched him all alone, 很多时候悄悄凝望他
He’s young but he’s daily growing. 他很年轻却一天天的成长
Father, dear father, you’ve done me great wrong,亲爱的父亲,你做了件大错事
You have married me to a boy who is too young, 你让我嫁给太年轻的男孩
I am twice twelve and he is but fourteen, 我都24了他却14
He’s young but he’s daily growing. 他很年轻却一天天的成长
Daughter, dear daughter, I’ve done you no wrong,亲爱的女儿,我并没做错什么
I have married you to a great lord’s son, 我让你嫁给了一个不错的小伙
He will be a man for you when I am dead and gone, 当我老去他将成为你的唯一
He’s young but he’s daily growing他很年轻却一天天的成长
Father, dear father, if you see fit,亲爱的父亲,如果你觉得适合
We’ll send him to college for another year yet, 我们来年就送他去学校
I’ll tie a blue ribbon all around his head,他头上绑条蓝丝带
To let the maidens know that he is married.其他的女子知道他已结婚
One day I was looking over my father’s castle wall, 有天,我在父亲的城墙观望
I spied all the boys playing with a ball, 我看到很多男孩在玩球
And my own true love was the flower of them all, 我的至爱是最显眼的一个
He’s young but he’s daily growing. 他很年轻却一天天的成长
And so early in the morning at the dawning of the day, 黎明初晨
They went into a hayfield to have some sport and play, 他们在草地上运动玩耍
And what they did there she never would declare, 她无法知道他们在做什么
But she never more complained of his growing.不再抱怨他的成长
At the age of fourteen he was a married man, 他14岁时就是个已婚男子了
At the age of fifteen the father of my son, 15岁他就成了我孩子的爸
At the age of sixteen his grave it was green, 16岁时他年轻的离去了
And death had put an end to his growing. 死亡把他的成长定格成终点
I’ll buy my love some flannel,我要为我的爱人买些布,
I’ll make my love a shroud,我要为我的爱人做件衣裳,
With every stitch I put in it, the tears they will pour down,一针一线泪滴汇制
With every stitch I put in it, how the tears they will flow,一针一线泪从何处流
Cruel fate has put an end to his growing. 残酷的命运把他的一生划了个终点 |