扎拉图斯特拉如是说 第10期:序言(10)(在线收听

   Then, however, something happened which made every mouth mute and every eye fixed.

  但这时忽生一事,使人人瞠目哆口,
  In the meantime, of course, the rope-dancer had commenced his performance: he had come out at a little door, and was going along the rope which was stretched between two towers, so that it hung above the market-place and the people.
  便是其间踏软索者已开始表演了。他从一小门里走出来,踏上了软索,索子是系在两个高塔间,悬于这市场和民众之上。
  When he was just midway across, the little door opened once more, and a gaudily-dressed fellow like a buffoon sprang out, and went rapidly after the first one.
  当他走到了软索的中段,那小门又启开了,跳出一个彩衣少年,很像一个丑角,在软索上快步赶上那前面的人去。
  "Go on, halt-foot," cried his frightful voice, "go on, lazy-bones, interloper, sallow-face!--lest I tickle you with my heel!
  “前进呀,蹩脚鬼,”--他喊叫的声音怕人--“前进呀,懒东西,黑 货商,小白脸!别要我用脚踏你!
  What do you here between the towers?
  你在这两个塔中间干什麽?
  In the tower is the place for you, you should be locked up; to one better than yourself you blocks the way!"
  你是塔里的,人应该将你关起来,你碍着比你好的人的自由路:”
  扎拉图斯特拉如是说
  And with every word he came nearer and nearer the first one.
  他一字一字喊便一步一步逼近了,
  When, however, he was but a step behind, there happened the frightful thing which made every mouth mute and every eye fixed--
  到了只离前面那人一步的地方,可怕底事便发生了,使每只眼睛瞪住,每张嘴堵住——
  he uttered a yell like a devil, and jumped over the other who was in his way.
  他恶鬼似的大叫一声,一下跳过了前面碍著路的人。
  The latter, however, when he thus saw his rival triumph, lost at the same time his head and his footing on the rope;
  这人看到竞争者胜利了,一下失神,踏空了软素,
  he threw his pole away, and shot downwards faster than it, like an eddy of arms and legs, into the depth.
  抛开了手里的长竿,比那人还快地手手脚脚旋风似的掉下地来。
  The market-place and the people were like the sea when the storm comes on:
  这时市场上的人便如暴风里的海水,
  they all flew apart and in disorder, especially where the body was about to fall.
  逃的四散,慌做一团,最是在这人大概要掉下的地方。
  Zarathustra, however, remained standing, and just beside him fell the body, badly injured and disfigured, but not yet dead.
  但苏鲁支站定了,那人也刚掉在他身边,已经完全跌伤,摔坏,但还没有死。
  After a while consciousness returned to the shattered man, and he saw Zarathustra kneeling beside him.
  歇了一忽儿,那摔坏了的人回复了知觉,看见苏鲁支跪在身旁。
  "What are you doing there?" said he at last,
  “你在那儿干什么呢?”他最后说:
  "I knew long ago that the devil would trip me up.
  “很久我知道魔鬼要弄翻我了。
  Now he drags me to hell: will you prevent him?" "On mine honor, my friend," answered Zarathustra,
  现在他要拉我到地狱里去了,你能禁止他吗?”“凭我的名誉,朋友,”苏鲁支说:
  "there is nothing of all that whereof you speak:
  “你所说的这一切都没有的,
  there is no devil and no hell.
  既没有魔鬼,也没有地狱。
  Your soul will be dead even sooner than your body:
  你的灵魂比肉体死的还快,
  fear, therefore, nothing any more!" The man looked up distrustfully.
  现在不要怕什么吧!”垂死者怀疑地望著他,
  "If you speak the truth," said he,
  终于说:“倘若你说的是真理,
  "I lose nothing when I lose my life.
  我失掉生命便没有失掉什么。
  I am not much more than an animal which has been taught to dance by blows and scanty fare."
  我不比一匹动物怎样不同,那用鞭答和菲薄底饲料养成的……跳舞的动物。”
  "Not at all," said Zarathustra, "you have made danger your calling; therein there is nothing contemptible.
  “不然的,”苏鲁支说:“你是以危险为职务,这没有什么可藐视的。
  Now you perish by your calling: therefore will I bury you with mine own hands."
  你现在困职务而殉身,我将亲手将你埋葬。”
  When Zarathustra had said this the dying one did not reply further;
  苏鲁支说过这话,垂死者已无回答了;
  but he moved his hand as if he sought the hand of Zarathustra in gratitude.
  但他还摇动着手,彷佛要握苏鲁支的手志谢。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/zltstl/327986.html