创业成功人士访谈录 第20期:戴尔CEO(2)(在线收听) |
Dell was famous for its low-cost approach—for its direct-sales model via Internet and telephone. 戴尔因其低成本而闻名——采用网络和电话直销形式。
Is that still an advantage today?
现在这依然是一个优势吗?
We are 10 times more efficient than all our competitors.
我们比所有竞争者的效率高出10倍。
Did some improve?
我们有改进吗?
Absolutely, but we still have a big advantage.
当然,但是我们仍有很大的优势。
We think we can even enhance it.
我想我们甚至可以进一步将其扩大。
We’re looking at our entire system and saying, “where do we have overlaps and inefficiencies,
我们关注我们整体的系统并问自己:“哪里有重复和无效劳动,
where can we reduce time and improve speed,
可以在哪节省时间、提高效率,
where have we made it too complicated and not gotten value for customers and shareholders?’
有哪些设计过于复杂却没有为客户和股东带来实惠? ”
What was your first move after taking over as CEO again?
重返CEO职位后第一件要做的事是什么?
One of the things was to create a kind of amnesty environment.
其中一件事要创造一种“特赦环境”。
Pardon?
什么?
We basically said,bring all your problems to the table and please tell us everything that’s not going as well as it could.
我们基本会说,有什么就说出来,告诉我们有什么还不够好。
We got huge lists out of this.
由此我们可以列出很长的清单。
For example, I found out that Dell has been a company which has been very good at listening,
比如说,我发现戴尔是一个善于倾听的公司,
but that we had lost some of that.
但是我们失去了一些。
So we created this Web site called Idea Storm.
所以我们开发了这个叫做“思想风暴”的网站。
Now we are getting thousands of ideas from customers.
现在我们从客户那里得到了上千上万的好主意。
Or they vote on different computer housings on this site so we know which one they like.
他们还可以根据自己的喜好给电脑外壳投票。
We’re getting this feedback in real time.
我们及时得到反馈,
It’s fantastic.
这太奇妙了。
Years ago, people sometimes even lined up on the streets as soon as new computer models or software came out so they could buy the latest.
很多年前,新的机型或软件问世的时候,人们为了买到最新款的甚至在街上排队。
That seems to not be the much any more.
现在似乎再也没有这种情况了。
There is still an enthusiast market which always wants the latest,
现在仍有一部分有这样热情的人,他们总希望最快地用上最新的产品,
but this percentage of the total market is becoming smaller and smaller.
但是这个比例越来越小了。
It’s also true that processor speeds are increasing in a way that nobody really needs.
也确实是更新速度太快了,实际上人们根本不需要这么快的更新速度。
The most important thing now is high-speed Internet connections and multi-media applications.
最主要的是现在高速的网络连接和多媒体应用。
In other words, people don’t need a new computer every 18 months any more.
换句话说,人们再也不需要每一年半就换一台电脑了。
It depends on your job.
这取决于你的工作。
If you’re a trader at an investment bank, you always want the fastest.
如果你是一个投资银行的商人,那你总想要速度最快的。
You’ll replace your PC every six months.
你每半年就换一次电脑。
Consumers probably now buy a new one every three or four years.
现在普通消费者大概每3或4年换一台电脑。
What does this tell you?
这对你来说意味着什么?
More and more of our business is focusing on service.
我们的生意越来越多地集中到服务上。
Our business services sector has grown in four years from less than $2 billion to $6 billion.
我们的商业服务部门4年内营业值由不足20亿美元增长到60亿美元。
We made the PC easy, simple and cost effective.
我们将计算机改善为简洁高效。
Now we want to make IT easy, simple, and cost effective.
现在我们想要将信息技术变得简洁高效。
A lot of companies are really suffering from complexity in IT
很多公司因为信息技术复杂而感到困惑,
and they need an army of consultants to keep their systems running.
他们要雇用大量的顾问团队,以保持机器的正常运转。
We call it“feeding the dinosaurs.”
我们把这个叫做“喂恐龙”。
That’s where we want to help with new and easy standards.
我们正想帮助此处建立新的而且简单的标准。
To give you an example: We are managing the entire IT-structure of Boeing,
给你举个例子:我们正在管理波音整体的信息技术结构,
including computers, software and printers
包括计算机、软件和打印机。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/cycgftl/400454.html |