ESL杰夫的一天 第50期:开车上班讲解(1)(在线收听) |
Part five is called "The Commute to Work." 第五部分叫做“开车上班” Commute, "commute," can be both a noun and a verb. 通勤(commute)既可以作名词,也可以作动词。
It means to go from your house to your work. 它是从家里去上班的意思。
Usually, if you live a long distance from your work, you would say, "I have a long commute." 一般来说,如果你住的地方离工作地很远,你会说,“我的通勤距离很长。”
Or, if you live close to work, you would have a short commute. 或者说,如果你住在工作地附近,那么你的通勤距离很短。
If it's a very long commute with lots of traffic, you might say, "I have a terrible commute" — a very bad commute. 如果通勤距离很长并且交通拥堵,你会说,“我的通勤很糟糕”。
The story begins by me saying that "I open my car door and throw my briefcase in the back seat." 故事开始,我说“我打开车门,把公文包扔到后座上”。
So, I open my front door — the door that we would call the driver's side, where the driver gets in, 因此,我打开前门——这个门就是我们所说的驾驶员侧,驾驶员进车的地方,
and in an American car, that is on the left side. 美国汽车的驾驶员侧在左边。
Cars in Britain are on the right side, is the driver's side. 而英国汽车的驾驶员侧在右边。
So, I get into the left side in the front door. 因此,我从左边的前门进入汽车。
If you have a car that has a back seat, you could have a two-door car or a four-door car. 如果你的车有后座,那么你的车要么是两扇门的车,要么是四扇门的车。
Four doors means that you have separate doors for the back seat. 四扇车门意味着后座有单独的门。
The seat, "seat," is what you sit in. 座位(seat)是你坐的地方。
So, the back seat is where people can sit behind you — behind the driver and behind the person next to the driver. 因此,后座是人们坐在你后面的地方——在驾驶员和驾驶员旁边的人的后面。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jfdyt/421206.html |