ESL杰夫的一天 第57期:开车上班讲解(8)(在线收听) |
"I used to drive a stick shift, but as I get older, I like my automatic transmission more and more." “我过去常常开手动挡的车,但当我年龄大了以后,我则越来越喜欢开自动挡的车”。 There are two kinds of transmissions — two kinds of cars. 有两种挡的汽车。
One is what we call an automatic transmission, where you put your car either into reverse or into drive, and that's it. 一种是自动挡,使用它你要么是倒车要么是让车往前开,仅此而已。
You don't have to change anything. 你不必改变任何东西。
Another kind of car is called a stick shift, or a manual transmission. 另一种是手动挡。
Manual, "manual," is the opposite of automatic; it means by hand. 手动的(manual)反义词是“自动的”;它是“用手”的意思。
So, if you have a manual transmission, or a stick shift, 因此,如果你的车是手动挡的话,
you have to move the transmission each time you want to go faster or slower. 每次你要加速或减速,你都必须要挂挡。
The word stick, "stick," shift, "shift," (two words) is the same as a manual transmission. “Stick shift”(两个字)这词和“手动挡”的意思相同。
Some people say, "I drive a stick," they mean, "I drive a stick shift." 有些人会说,“I drive a stick”,他们的意思就是:“我开手动挡的车”
The word shift is also a verb, to shift, and that means to change. “Shift”这个词也是动词,它是“改变”的意思。
So, if you have a manual transmission — a stick shift — you shift from one gear to another. 因此,如果你的车是手动挡,你就要换挡。
If you want to go faster, you have to shift into a higher gear. 如果你想加速,就必须换到更高的挡位。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jfdyt/421213.html |