英语听书《白鲸记》第283期(在线收听) |
I protested my innocence of these things. 我坚决声明我从来没有干过这些事情。 I saw that under the mask of these half humorous innuendoes, this old seaman, 我看出,在这些半幽默的讽刺话底里,这个老水手,
as an insulated Quakerish Nantucketer, was full of his insular prejudices, 这个与世隔绝的桂克派的南塔开特人,是有满脑子的岛民偏见的,
and rather distrustful of all aliens, unless they hailed from Cape Cod or the Vineyard. 他除了科德角人或者是维因耶德以外,是很不信任一切外地人的。
But what takes thee a-whaling? I want to know that before I think of shipping ye. 但是,你为什么要干起捕鲸来呢?我得弄清楚这个后,才来考虑雇用你。
Well, sir, I want to see what whaling is. I want to see the world. 啊,先生,我想要看看捕鲸是怎么回事,我想见见世面,开开眼界。
Want to see what whaling is, eh? Have ye clapped eye on Captain Ahab? 要看看捕鲸是怎么回事,是吗?你可瞥见亚哈船长么?
Who is Captain Ahab, sir? 亚哈船长是谁,先生?
Aye, aye, I thought so. Captain Ahab is the Captain of this ship. 啊,啊,我想是这样。亚哈船长就是这只船的船长。
I am mistaken then. I thought I was speaking to the Captain himself. 那么,我弄错了。我还以为我是在跟船长本人谈话呢。
Thou art speaking to Captain Peleg--that's who ye are speaking to, young man. 你是在跟法勒船长谈话。这就是你跟他谈话的人,小伙子。
It belongs to me and Captain Bildad to see the Pequod fitted out for the voyage, and supplied with all her needs, including crew. 我跟比勒达船长一起负责准备'裴廓德号,开航种种事情,给它装备各种必需的东西,包括水手在内。
We are part owners and agents. 我们都是股东老板兼经理人。
But as I was going to say, if thou wantest to know what whaling is, as thou tellest ye do, 不过,我要说的是,如果你要想知道捕鲸是怎么一回事,
I can put ye in a way of finding it out before ye bind yourself to it, past backing out. 象你刚才所说的,那么,在你保证要干这行当,不打退堂鼓之前,我倒要让你弄弄明白。
Clap eye on Captain Ahab, young man, and thou wilt find that he has only one leg. 你得去瞧一瞧亚哈船长,小伙子,那么,你就可以看到,他只有一条腿。
What do you mean, sir? Was the other one lost by a whale? 你这是什么意思,先生?还有一条腿是让大鲸给搞掉的吗? |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/bjj/433707.html |