英语听书《白鲸记》第543期(在线收听) |
"Come out of that, ye pirates! “滚出来,你们这些强盗! roared the captain, now menacing them with a pistol in each hand, just brought to him by the steward. 船长一边大肆咆哮,一边用刚由茶房送来的两支枪,一手抓一支,对他们威胁着,
Come out of that, ye cut-throats! 滚出来,你们这些暴徒!
"Steelkilt leaped on the barricade, and striding up and down there, defied the worst the pistols could do; “斯蒂尔基尔特跳在路障上,在那里阔步地走来走去,不顾那两支枪万一会出乱子;
but gave the captain to understand distinctly, that his (Steelkilt's) death would be the signal for a murderous mutiny on the part of all hands. 明明白白地对船长说,如果他(斯蒂尔基尔特)死了,就是要大家起来进行凶险的哗变的信号。
Fearing in his heart lest this might prove but too true, the captain a little desisted, but still commanded the insurgents instantly to return to their duty. 船长生怕这番话会成为事实,所以他稍微收敛一些,不过还是命令这几个叛乱者立刻回去工作。
"Will you promise not to touch us, if we do? demanded their ringleader. “要是我们照办了,你会答应不来碰我们吗?他们的头目问道。
"Turn to! turn to! I make no promise; to your duty! “回去!回去!我不答应什么;回去工作!
Do you want to sink the ship, by knocking off at a time like this? 这种时候,你们竟停止工作,是不是想把船弄沉了?
Turn to! and he once more raised a pistol. 回去!他又晃出一支枪来。
"Sink the ship? cried Steelkilt. Aye, let her sink. “把船弄沉?斯蒂尔基尔特嚷道。那就让它沉好啦。
Not a man of us turns to, unless you swear not to raise a rope-yarn against us. 我们谁也不回去,除非你发誓,决不用绳索来抽打我们。
What say ye, men? turning to his comrades. A fierce cheer was their response. 你们怎么说,大家?他转身对他的同伴们说,他们同声报以一阵热烈的欢呼。
"The Lakeman now patrolled the barricade, all the while keeping his eye on the Captain, “那个湖上人现在就在路障上巡逻着,一边眼睛始终盯着那个船长,
and jerking out such sentences as these: It's not our fault; we didn't want it; 一边又突然说出这样一些话来,这不是我们的过错,我们并不要这么做;
I told him to take his hammer away; it was boy's business; 我要他把他那支榔头拿开;这是小孩子的玩意儿;
he might have known me before this; I told him not to prick the buffalo; 他应该早就知道我的脾气;我告诉他别来刺激野牛; |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/bjj/434452.html |