英语听书《白鲸记》第615期(在线收听) |
when, with both hands folded before him, and resting on his two-legged cane, 这时,他两手交叉在胸前,倚着他那副拐杖, he bowed his arched back still further over, at the same time sideways inclining his head, so as to bring his best ear into play. 那只拱背向前佝得很低,敬起礼来,同时偏着脑袋,好教他那只比较灵敏的耳朵来聆训。
Cook, said Stubb, rapidly lifting a rather reddish morsel to his mouth, "don't you think this steak is rather overdone? 厨司呀,斯塔布迅速举起一块血红的东西往嘴里一送后,说道,"你想这肉排可不煮得烂了些吗?
You've been beating this steak too much, cook; it's too tender. 你把它敲得太厉害了,厨司;这肉本来就很嫩。
Don't I always say that to be good, a whale-steak must be tough? 我不是始终说,要把鲸排煮得好,就要煮得生些么?
There are those sharks now over the side, don't you see they prefer it tough and rare? 现在就在船边的那些鲨鱼,你没有看到它们是爱吃半生不熟和生的肉排吗?
What a shindy they are kicking up! 它们吵得多厉害!
Cook, go and talk to 'em; tell 'em they are welcome to help themselves civilly, and in moderation, but they must keep quiet. 厨司,去对它们讲一讲;告诉它们,欢迎它们来吃,就是要吃得文雅些,有节制点,而且一定要安静。
Blast me, if I can hear my own voice. 该死的东西,我吃东西会听到自己的声响,我才不信。
Away, cook, and deliver my message. 走吧,厨司,传我的话去吧。
Here, take this lantern," snatching one from his sideboard; "now then, go and preach to them!" 喏,把这只灯笼拿着,"他从食具架上抓起一只灯笼给他;"去跟它们讲一通道吧!"
Sullenly taking the offered lantern, old Fleece limped across the deck to the bulwarks; 弗里斯老头绷着脸,接过那只灯笼,一瘸一瘸地横过甲板,到对面舷墙去;
and then, with one hand drooping his light low over the sea, so as to get a good view of his congregation, 于是,他一只手把灯笼低照着海上,以便好好地端相一下他的会众,
with the other hand he solemnly flourished his tongs, 另一只手一本正经地挥舞起他那火钳,
and leaning far over the side in a mumbling voice began addressing the sharks, 把大半截身子俯扑在船舷外面,嗫嗫嚅嚅地对那些鲨鱼讲起话来。
while Stubb, softly crawling behind, overheard all that was said. 这时,斯塔布悄悄地爬到他背后,偷听他说话。
Fellow-critters: I'se ordered here to say dat you must stop dat dam noise dare. You hear? 同胞们,我奉命到这里来说,你们一定要停止那种死吵死闹。你们听到么?
Stop dat dam smackin' ob de lips! 嘴巴不要他妈的巴嗒巴嗒响! |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/bjj/434609.html |