英语听书《白鲸记》第680期(在线收听

 Chapter 76 The Battering-Ram 第七十六章 破城槌

Ere quitting, for the nonce, the Sperm Whale's head, 在离开这只抹香鲸头以前,
I would have you, as a sensible physiologist, simply—particularly remark its front aspect, in all its compacted collectedness. 我要请你暂时做个明达的生理学家,简单点说,请你特别注意一下它那非常稳静的脸相。
I would have you investigate it now  我现在请你
with the sole view of forming to yourself some unexaggerated, intelligent estimate of whatever battering-ram power may be lodged there. 按照你自己单独构思出来的不夸张、有理智的观点来审查它一下,估计这颗头颅里边究竟会有多大的破城槌的力量。
Here is a vital point; for you must either satisfactorily settle this matter with yourself, 这是个要点;因为你必须或者亲自称心如意地办妥这事情,
or for ever remain an infidel as to one of the most appalling, 或者对这一件最为可怕,
but not the less true events, perhaps anywhere to be found in all recorded history. 但却完全是真实的,也许可以在各种典籍中获得证明的事情始终存有怀疑。
You observe that in the ordinary swimming position of the Sperm Whale, 在抹香鲸的一般游态中,你可以看到
the front of his head presents an almost wholly vertical plane to the water; 它那只头的正面和水面几乎完全垂直;
you observe that the lower part of that front slopes considerably backwards, 你可以看到那正面的下端后倾得很厉害,
so as to furnish more of a retreat for the long socket which receives the boom-like lower jaw; 因而那衔接着第二桅樯似的下巴的长长的承口,更缩了进去;
you observe that the mouth is entirely under the head, 你可以看到那只嘴巴全然长在头顶下,
much in the same way, indeed, as though your own mouth were entirely under your chin. 非常象你自己的嘴巴完全长在下巴上面一样。
Moreover you observe that the whale has no external nose; 而且,你还可以看到鲸的外部并没有鼻子;
and that what nose he has—his spout hole—is on the top of his head; 也看到它仅有的鼻子——那喷水孔——就长在头顶心上;
you observe that his eyes and ears are at the sides of his head; nearly one third of his entire length from the front. 你可以看到它的耳朵、眼睛都是长在它头部的两边;远离正面几达它身长的三分之一。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/bjj/434830.html