绿野仙踪 第60期:来到奥芝国(2)(在线收听

 "This must be the Land of Oz," said Dorothy, “这想必是奥芝国了,”多萝茜说,

"and we are surely getting near the Emerald City." “我们一定离翡翠城不远了。”
"Yes," answered the Scarecrow. 稻草人回答说:“是的,”
"Everything is green here, while in the country of the Munchkins blue was the favorite color. “这里一切都是绿的,在芒奇金人的国家里,他们喜爱蓝色。”
But the people do not seem to be as friendly as the Munchkins, and I'm afraid we shall be unable to find a place to pass the night." 我觉得,这里的人,似乎没有像芒奇金人那般热情,我担心能不能找到住的地方。”
"I should like something to eat besides fruit," said the girl, “除了果子以外,我得吃一些东西,”女孩子说,
"and I'm sure Toto is nearly starved. Let us stop at the next house and talk to the people." “我想托托差不多也饿了。我们在下一所农舍前停下来,好让居民给我们找个住的地方。”
So, when they came to a good-sized farmhouse, Dorothy walked boldly up to the door and knocked. 因此,当他们走到一所不大不小的农舍前面,多萝茜大胆地上前去敲门。
A woman opened it just far enough to look out, and said, "What do you want, child, and why is that great Lion with you?" 一个妇女只把门打开一条缝,门缝很小,只能望见她,说道:“孩子,你要什么,怎么带着一只大狮子在身边?”
"We wish to pass the night with you, if you will allow us," answered Dorothy; “假如你愿意,我们想在这里住一夜,”多萝茜回答说;
"and the Lion is my friend and comrade, and would not hurt you for the world." “狮子很友好,又是我们同行的伙伴,它决不会伤害你的。”
"Is he tame?" asked the woman, opening the door a little wider. “它是驯养过的吗?”妇人问,把门开大了一点儿。
"Oh, yes," said the girl, "and he is a great coward, too. He will be more afraid of you than you are of him." “啊,就算是吧,”女孩子说,“它还是一个胆小鬼。或许它现在更怕你呢。”
"Well," said the woman, after thinking it over and taking another peep at the Lion, 妇女迅速地想了一想,又窥视了一下狮子说:“那么,”
"if that is the case you may come in, and I will give you some supper and a place to sleep." “假如真是这样,你们可以进来,我为你们准备一顿晚饭,有一个睡觉的地方。”
So they all entered the house, where there were, besides the woman, two children and a man. 因此他们进了屋子,屋子里除了妇人以外,住着两个小孩和一个男人。
The man had hurt his leg, and was lying on the couch in a corner. 那男人的腿受了伤,躺在角落里的一张床上。
They seemed greatly surprised to see so strange a company, and while the woman was busy laying the table the man asked: 他们看见进来这么一个奇怪的团体,非常地诧异,那妇人便忙着把晚餐摆上桌子,那男人问道:
"Where are you all going?" “你们要上哪里去?”
"To the Emerald City," said Dorothy, "to see the Great Oz." "Oh, indeed!" exclaimed the man. "Are you sure that Oz will see you?" “到翡翠城去,”多萝茜说,“去拜访那伟大的奥芝。”“啊,天哪!”男人大声地喊了起来。“你们相信奥芝会接见你们吗?”
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/shuchong1j/wizardofoz/437281.html