英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第122期:第八章 天使港(7)(在线收听) |
The sky suddenly darkened further, and, as I looked over my shoulder to glare at the offending cloud, 天忽然黑得更快了,然后当我越过自己的肩膀看向那片烦人的云彩时, I realized with a shock that two men were walking quietly twenty feet behind me. 我震惊地注意到两个男人正在我身后二十英尺外的地方悄无声息地向我走来。
They were from the same group I'd passed at the corner, though neither was the dark one who'd spoken to me. 他们是刚刚在街角和我擦身而过的那伙人,但不是刚刚和我说话的那个肤色黝黑的人。
I turned my head forward at once, quickening my pace. 我立刻转过头,加快了脚步。
A chill that had nothing to do with the weather made me shiver again. 一阵与天气无关的寒意又一次让我战栗起来。
My purse was on a shoulder strap and I had it slung across my body, 我的钱包用一根皮带斜挎在身上,我把它紧紧地捂在身上,
the way you were supposed to wear it so it wouldn't get snatched. 就是那种你能想到的姿势,这样它就不容易被抢走了。
I knew exactly where my pepper spray was—still in my duffle bag under the bed, never unpacked. 我确切地知道我的防狼喷雾在那里——仍在我床底下的登山包里,还没开封。
I didn't have much money with me, just a twenty and some ones, 我身上没有多少钱,只有二十几美元。
and I thought about "accidentally" dropping my bag and walking away. 我考虑着“不小心”让我的包掉下去,然后快步走开。
But a small, frightened voice in the back of my mind warned me that they might be something worse than thieves. 但是,我脑后的一个小小的,吓人的声音警告着我,他们可能会是比强盗更糟糕的人。
I listened intently to their quiet footsteps, 我专注地聆听着他们安静的脚步声,
which were much too quiet when compared to the boisterous noise they'd been making earlier, 但比起他们之前发出的嘈杂的噪音,这实在是太安静了点。
and it didn't sound like they were speeding up, or getting any closer to me. 听起来他们也没有任何加速或者靠近我的意思。
Breathe, I had to remind myself. 呼吸,我不得不提醒自己。
You don't know they're following you. 你不知道他们是不是真的在跟着你。
I continued to walk as quickly as I could without actually running, 我继续快步走着,速度快得就差没跑起来,
focusing on the right-hand turn that was only a few yards away from me now. 专注地盯着现在离我只有几码远的右手边的转角处。
I could hear them, staying as far back as they'd been before. 我能听到,他们和我依然保持着原来的距离。
A blue car turned onto the street from the south and drove quickly past me. 一辆蓝色的小车从南边开进这条街道,飞快地从我身边开过。
I thought of jumping out in front of it, but I hesitated, 我想过跳到车前把它截住,但我犹豫了。
inhibited, unsure that I was really being pursued, and then it was too late. 我抑制住自己的冲动,是因为不敢确定自己是不是真的被跟踪了。然后,已经太迟了。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgzcms/437753.html |