英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第123期:第八章 天使港(8)(在线收听) |
I reached the corner, but a swift glance revealed that it was only a blind drive to the back of another building. 我走到拐角处,飞快地瞥了一眼,发现那只是通往另一幢建筑物的断头路。 I was half-turned in anticipation; 我中途改变了主意。
I had to hurriedly correct and dash across the narrow drive, back to the sidewalk. 我不得不赶紧改变方向,冲过那条狭窄的车道,然后回到人行道上。
The street ended at the next corner, where there was a stop sign. 这条道路在下一个拐角处中断了。那里有一个停下的标志。
I concentrated on the faint footsteps behind me, deciding whether or not to run. 我把注意力集中在身后微弱的脚步声上,考虑着要不要逃跑。
They sounded farther back, though, and I knew they could outrun me in any case. 但是,他们听起来在背后更远的地方,而且我知道无论如何他们都会跑过我的。
I was sure to trip and go sprawling if I tried to go any faster. 如果我试图跑快些,我一定会被绊到,然后躺倒在地上。
The footfalls were definitely farther back. 脚步声显然是从后面更远的地方传来的。
I risked a quick glance over my shoulder, and they were maybe forty feet back now, I saw with relief. 我冒险飞快地向肩膀后扫了一眼,然后宽慰地看到,他们现在在离我大概有四十英尺的距离。
But they were both staring at me. 但他们都在盯着我。
It seemed to take forever for me to get to the corner. 我似乎永远也不可能走到拐角处。
I kept my pace steady, the men behind me falling ever so slightly farther behind with every step. 我尽量让自己的步子踏得稳一些,那两个被我远远地抛在后面的男人每一步都走得那么的轻。
Maybe they realized they had scared me and were sorry. 也许是他们意识到自己吓着我了,所以感到抱歉。
I saw two cars going north pass the intersection I was heading for, and I exhaled in relief. 我看见两辆车一路向北开进了我正在前往的那个十字路口,我宽慰地松了口气。
There would be more people around once I got off this deserted street. 等我离开这条荒芜的街道的时候,周围一定会有更多人的。
I skipped around the corner with a grateful sigh. 我轻快地跳过拐角,感激地叹了口气。
And skidded to a stop. 然后脚下一滑,停在那里。
The street was lined on both sides by blank, doorless, windowless walls. 这条街道两旁全是空白的,没有门窗的墙。
I could see in the distance, two intersections down, streetlamps, cars, and more pedestrians, but they were all too far away. 我能看见在远处两个十字路口以外的地方,有街灯,有车流,还有更多的行人,但那些都太远了。
Because lounging against the western building, midway down the street, were the other two men from the group, 因为在这条街的中部,在西边的建筑物旁闲逛着的,正是那伙人中另外两个。
both watching with excited smiles as I froze dead on the sidewalk. 当我僵在人行道上的时候,他们都兴奋地笑着看着我。
I realized then that I wasn't being followed. 然后我意识到,我没有被跟踪。
I was being herded. 我被堵截了。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgzcms/437754.html |