英语听力 暮光之城•暮色 第249期:第十四章 精神胜于物质(18)(在线收听

 "For example"—his words flowed swiftly now, I had to concentrate to catch it all—"the emotion of jealousy. “例如”——他说话变得迅速起来,我不得不集中精力去捕捉每一个字——“嫉妒的情绪。

I've read about it a hundred thousand times, seen actors portray it in a thousand different plays and movies. 我读到过这种情绪千万次,在一千部不同的戏剧和电影里看过演员对此的演绎。
I believed I understood that one pretty clearly. But it shocked me..." 我相信自己对此的理解非常透彻,但它却震撼了我……”
He grimaced. 他扮了个鬼脸。
"Do you remember the day that Mike asked you to the dance?" “你还记得迈克邀请你去舞会那天吗?”
I nodded, though I remembered that day for a different reason. "The day you started talking to me again." 我点了点头,不过我记得那一天却是出于一个完全不同的理由。“那天你又开始和我说话了。”
"I was surprised by the flare of resentment, almost fury, that I felt—I didn't recognize what it was at first. “我被那阵一闪而过,几近狂暴的愤怒惊呆了,我所感觉到的——起初我根本分辨不出这是什么样的情绪。
I was even more aggravated than usual that I couldn't know what you were thinking, why you refused him. 我不知道你在想什么,这种挫败感比平时来得还要严重,因为我不知道你为什么拒绝他。
Was it simply for your friend's sake? Was there someone else? 仅仅是为了你的朋友的缘故吗?还是为了某个人?
I knew I had no right to care either way. I tried not to care. 我知道我没有权利去关心这些方面。我努力不让自己去关心这些。”
"And then the line started forming," he chuckled. I scowled in the darkness. “然后排队邀请你的队伍开始形成了。”他轻笑起来。我在黑暗中把脸绷起来。
"I waited, unreasonably anxious to hear what you would say to them, to watch your expressions. “我等待着,焦虑不安得毫无理由地,想要听到你会对他们说什么,想要看见你的表情。
I couldn't deny the relief I felt, watching the annoyance on your face. But I couldn't be sure. 我无法否认,当看到你脸上烦恼的神情时,我感到一阵宽慰。但我不能肯定。
"That was the first night I came here. 那是我第一次晚上来这里。
I wrestled all night, while watching you sleep, with the chasm between what I knew was right, moral, ethical, and what I wanted. 当我看着你的睡容时,我整夜都在挣扎着,在我知道是正确的,合乎道德的,合乎伦理的,和我想要的之间挣扎着,有如困于深谷之中。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgzcms/438414.html