英语听书《海底两万里》第499期 第31章 章鱼(7)(在线收听

 Yet, Conseil asked me, "doesn't master believe in gigantic devilfish?" “那么,”康塞尔问我,“先生也不相信有大型章鱼吗?”

"Yikes! Who in Hades ever believed in them?" the Canadian exclaimed. “哎!鬼才相信呢!”加拿大人喊道。
Many people, Ned my friend, I said."No fishermen. Scientists maybe!" “有很多人相信呢,尼德朋友。” “渔人就不会相信。学者就可能会相信!” 
"Pardon me, Ned. Fishermen and scientists!" “不好意思,尼德。一些学者和一些渔人都相信。” 
"Why, I to whom you speak," Conseil said with the world's straightest face,  “但我跟您说,”康塞尔神情无比严肃地说,
"I recall perfectly seeing a large boat dragged under the waves by the arms of a cephalopod." “我清楚地记得,我曾经见过一艘大船被一只头足类动物的爪子拖到水里去。”
"You saw that?" the Canadian asked. Yes, Ned. “您看过吗?”加拿大人问。“是的,尼德。” 
"With your own two eyes?" “您亲眼看到的?”
With my own two eyes.  “亲眼看到的。” 
"Where, may I ask? “那请问,在哪里看到?”
In Saint-Malo, Conseil returned unflappably. “在圣—马洛港,”康塞尔冷静地回答说。 
"In the harbor?" Ned Land said sarcastically. “在一个港口?”尼德·兰嘲讽地说。
"No, in a church," Conseil replied."  “不,在一座教堂里。”康塞尔回答说。 
In a church!" the Canadian exclaimed." “在一座教堂里!”加拿大人喊道。 
Yes, Ned my friend. It had a picture that portrayed the devilfish in question." “是的,尼德朋友。是一幅描绘章鱼的图画。”
"Oh good!" Ned Land exclaimed with a burst of laughter.  “好啊!”尼德·兰说着,放声大笑,
"Mr. Conseil put one over on me!" “康塞尔先生在跟我开玩笑呢!” 
"Actually he's right," I said. “事实上,他是对的,”我说,
"I've heard about that picture.  “我听说过这幅图画;
But the subject it portrays is taken from a legend, and you know how to rate legends in matters of natural history!  虽然它取裁于一个传说,但您知道应该怎样看待与博物史有关的传说!
Besides, when it's an issue of monsters, the human imagination always tends to run wild.  再说,一说到这种怪物,人们就会突发奇想。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440301.html