英语听书《海底两万里》第510期 第32章 海湾暖流(1)(在线收听) |
Chapter 19 The Gulf Stream 第十九章 海湾暖流 This dreadful scene on April 20 none of us will ever be able to forget. 4月20日那可怕的一幕,我们任何人都永远忘不了。
I wrote it up in a state of intense excitement. 我心情澎湃地把它记录下来。
Later I reviewed my narrative. 以后,我又重新看了一遍这个记录。
I read it to Conseil and the Canadian. 我把它念给康塞尔和加拿大人听。
They found it accurate in detail but deficient in impact. 他们觉得写得文如其事,但效果不够生动。
To convey such sights, it would take the pen of our most famous poet, Victor Hugo, author of The Toilers of the Sea. 可是要绘声绘色地描述这样的情景,只有我们当代最杰出的诗人、《海上劳工》的作者(雨果)的笔下才能做到。
As I said, Captain Nemo wept while staring at the waves. 我说过,尼摩船长对着水波垂泪。
His grief was immense. 他的痛苦是巨大的。
This was the second companion he had lost since we had come aboard. 自从我们到船上以来,这是他失去的第二个同伴。
And what a way to die! 他死得好惨啊!
Smashed, strangled, crushed by the fearsome arms of a devilfish, ground between its iron mandibles, 这位朋友被章鱼巨大的爪子勒住、窒息、揉碎,辗碎在它钢铁般的牙齿下,
this friend would never rest with his companions in the placid waters of their coral cemetery! 他不能和他的同伴一起安息在珊瑚墓地平静的水中!
As for me, what had harrowed my heart in the thick of this struggle was the despairing yell given by this unfortunate man. 至于我,在这次战斗中,不幸者发出的绝望的求救声撕裂了我的心。
Forgetting his regulation language, this poor Frenchman had reverted to speaking his own mother tongue to fling out one supreme plea! 这位可怜的法国人,忘记了船上约定的交谈语言,又用他的祖国和母亲的语言发出了最后一声呼唤!
Among the Nautilus's crew, allied body and soul with Captain Nemo and likewise fleeing from human contact, I had found a fellow countryman! 在“鹦鹉螺号”船上,在那些和尼摩船长手牵手、心连心,和他一样回避人类的船员们中,竟然有我的一个同胞!
Was he the only representative of France in this mysterious alliance, obviously made up of individuals from different nationalities? 在这显然是由不同国籍的个人组成的神秘的集体中,他是唯一代表法兰西的吗? |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hdlwl/440311.html |