ESL杰夫的一天 第77期:开车回家和跑腿讲解(3)(在线收听

 So, "I signal my turn" — left or right — "onto the street and drive toward the freeway onramp.  因此,“我打开转向灯”——往左转或往右转——“开上了大街,然后开向高速公路匝道。

I merge as best as I can onto the freeway."  我尽可能地并入高速公路”。
To merge on the freeway or to merge when you are driving “并入高速公路”或“当你在开车的时候要并入某条路”,
means that there are two lanes — two cars next to each other — but the road is getting more narrow.  意思是有两条车道——两辆车紧挨在一起——因而道路变得更窄了。
The road becomes smaller and now you only have one lane,  路变窄了,而你只有一条车道可走,
so these two lines of cars have to go into the same lane, and we call that merging.  因此这些两条车道上的车子必须开进相同的车道,这我们所说的并入。
To merge, "merge," as a verb means to take two things and to put them together.  “Merge”,作动词的意思是把两件东西合并在一起。
We talk about companies that merge; one company buys another company and they merge — they come together. 我们所说的公司合并;一家公司收购另一家公司,它们便合并了——它们聚合在了一起。
Well, in traffic when you are driving, to merge means to go from two lanes to one lane,  那个,当你在车流中开车的时候,“merge”的意思是从两条车道中进入一条车道,
and you have to go into and combine with another lane of traffic. 你必须开进去,加入另一条车道的车流中。
"I merge as best as I can, which is always a bit of a hassle at this hour." “我尽可能地并入高速公路,在这个点时总会有点麻烦”。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jfdyt/443160.html