ESL杰夫的一天 第102期:休息 邮件和垃圾讲解(4)(在线收听

 In New York or Boston, some of the cities on the eastern coast of the United States, 在纽约或波斯顿等这样的美国东海岸城市,

people talk about sitting on the stoop, that mean you're sitting on your stairs. 人们说到坐在门廊上时指的是你正坐在楼梯上。
But, you can also use the word to talk about your own stairs in front of your house. The top of those stairs is where you might find packages. 但在说到你房子前面的楼梯时也可以使用这个词。你可能会在那些楼梯顶端发现包裹。
A package, "package," is usually a box or something that is bigger than just a regular letter that you receive in the mail 包裹(package),通常是盒子或者是比你在邮箱中收到的普通信件要更大的东西,
or that is delivered to you by some private company. 它是由某些私人公司派送给你。
Well, I look at my stoop and I see "there are no packages" — no one loves me; no one sent me a package. 那个,我看了看我的门廊发现“那里没有包裹”——没有人喜欢我;没有人给我寄包裹。
I then talk about how I like to watch television, and so does my wife. 然后我说我和妻子都喜欢看电视。
"My wife likes to watch reality shows." “我妻子喜欢看真人秀节目”。
A reality show, "reality," is a type of television show where they have a competition or a contest. 真人秀节目是一种有竞争或比赛电视节目。
"Big Brother" and "American Idol" are two examples of popular reality shows. 《老大哥》和《美国偶像》是两个广受欢迎的真人秀节目。
They take people — average people, they say — and they have a competition or a contest. 他们接纳普通的人,然后这些人在一起进行竞争或比赛。
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jfdyt/443186.html