美国小学英语教材5:第47课 午夜猎狮(3)(在线收听) |
TAKING THE LION’S PICTURE 给狮子拍照 We had been turned in about half an hour when we suddenly heard a bone crack. 我们大约在半小时后才被叫醒,突然听到一声骨裂。
We slowly rose up and peeped out between the poles across the opening in the rear. 我们慢慢地站起来,从后面洞口的两根杆子中间探出头来。
Instead of the hyenas we had expected, we saw an old lion. 我们看到的不是鬣狗,而是一头老狮子。
He had a short mane, but he was a big fellow. 它有一头短鬃毛,但他是个大个子。
When we saw him, we all started shaking. 当我们看到它时,我们都开始发抖。
It was not so much the fright as it was seeing a big lion just a few feet away. 与其说是害怕,不如说是因为还看见了几英尺外的一只大狮子。
As we watched, he started eating away on the zebra that had been placed there for bait. 就在我们注视着的时候,它开始不停地吃那只被放在那儿当诱饵的斑马。
Now and then he snarled and growled deeply in his throat. 不时地在喉咙里咆哮。
We turned the flashlight on him; but instead of running away, he only crouched down behind the zebra. 我们把手电筒对准他;但是他没有逃跑,而是蹲在斑马的后面。
For several minutes we watched him. 我们看了它几分钟。
After a while he got over his fear of the light and began once more to eat. 过了一会儿,它克服了对光线的恐惧,又开始吃东西了。
Mr. Johnson says that he thinks the lions believe the flash of a hand-light or of a flare to be only lightning in the sky. 约翰逊说,他认为狮子相信手电或耀斑的闪光只是天空中的闪电。
Whatever this one thought, he showed no fear. 不管这人怎么想,他都不害怕。 |
原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/mgxxyyjc/d5c/458532.html |