英语听书《白鲸记》第945期(在线收听

 But war is pain, and hate is woe. 不过,战争是苦痛的,憎恨是悲哀的。

Come in thy lowest form of love, and I will kneel and kiss thee; but at thy highest, come as mere supernal power; 如果你哪怕以最起码的爱的形式来对待我,我就会跪倒下来吻着你;可是,如果你只是以至高的权力来压我;
and though thou launchest navies of full-freighted worlds, there's that in here that still remains indifferent. 尽管你出动全部装备充足的海军,我们这里还是不为所动。
Oh, thou clear spirit, of thy fire thou madest me, and like a true child of fire, I breathe it back to thee. 你这个真神呵,你用火把我造了出来,我就要象火神的真正的孩子一样,把火给你吹回去。
(Sudden, repeated flashes of lightning; the nine flames leap lengthwise to thrice their previous height; (火光突然一再闪烁;那九股火焰直往上冲,比原先高了三倍;
Ahab, with the rest, closes his eyes, his right hand pressed hard upon them.) 亚哈和其余的人们,都紧闭眼睛,他右手紧蒙着双眼。)
I own thy speechless, placeless power; said I not so? 我承认你具有说不出的。摸不准的权力,我刚才不是这样说过嘛?
Nor was it wrung from me; nor do I now drop these links. 这可不是我硬挤出来的话;我这会儿也不放下这些链环了。
Thou canst blind; but I can then grope. 你能够使人瞎眼;我只能摸索着走。
Thou canst consume; but I can then be ashes. 你能够烧尽烧光,我只能化成灰。
Take the homage of these poor eyes, and shutter-hands. 请接受这双可怜的手和遮掩着的眼睛的敬意吧。
I would not take it. 我决不僭越。
The lightning flashes through my skull; mine eyeballs ache and ache; 火光照穿了我的脑壳;我的眼球痛得难耐;
my whole beaten brain seems as beheaded, and rolling on some stunning ground. 我整个受伤的脑袋直象被砍了下来,在一种使人立不住脚的地上滚来滚去。
Oh, oh! Yet blindfold, yet will I talk to thee. 啊,啊,尽管我眼睛看不清楚,我还是要跟你说话。
Light though thou be, thou leapest out of darkness; but I am darkness leaping out of light, leaping out of thee! 虽然你是火光,是从黑暗中跳出来的;我却是从火光中跳出来的黑暗,是从你那里面跳出来的黑暗!
 
  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/syysdw/bjj/468966.html