听力文摘:红色谷仓缘何而来?(在线收听

Why Barns Are Red

为什么谷仓是红色的?

Ya?l: This was a great idea, Don. It's a beautiful day for a drive to the countryside.

Don,这主意真的太棒了!今天超适合开着车到郊外兜风!

Don: Yep!

赞成!

Y: Hey, there's a big red barn. An another one, also red. I wonder why so many barns are painted red.

看,那里有一个好大的红谷仓哦。哦,还有一个,也是红色的。真想不通,为什么这些谷仓都要被漆成红色的呢?

D: I don't have to wonder. I've known why barns are red since I was little.

我倒是不用去想了,因为在我很小的时候我就已经知道各中原因了。

Y: Did you grow up on a farm?

你是在农场长大的?

D: No, I was just a weird kid.

那倒不是,我只是个好奇宝宝而已。

Y: So, what's the scoop?

那,来谈谈你的“独家报道”吧!

D: A few hundred years ago European farmers started painting their barns with a mixture of linseed oil, milk, and lime. Believe it or not, the combination made a pretty good paint that protected wood.

数百年前,欧洲农民首先使用一种由亚麻仁油、牛奶和石灰混合而成的混合物来粉刷他们的谷仓。信不信由你,这种混合物是很好的涂料,能很好的保护木材。

Y: So where does the red come from?

那红色又是怎么来的呢?

D: Sometimes they'd also add ferrous oxide to the mix.

有时候,他们会在混合物中加入氧化亚铁。

Y: You mean rust? Why would they add rust to the paint?

你是说铁锈?他们为什么会在涂料里加铁锈呢?

D: Because rust kills fungi and moss. When they grow on a barn they trap moisture in the wood, which leads to decay. Painting a barn with rusty paint was the best way to keep it strong and dry. After a while, red barns became a tradition in Europe and over here in America. And even though once commercial paints became available, the tradition continued, since red paint was cheap. White is the second most popular color for barns, since at some point whitewash became even cheaper than red paint. But today, you'll see barns in many different colors.

这是因为铁锈能除掉真菌和苔藓。如果谷仓里长出了真菌和苔藓,会使得木材变得潮湿,导致木材腐烂。粉刷谷仓时在涂料内加入铁锈是保证其牢固、干燥的最好方法。没过多久,红色的谷仓便成为了欧洲以及全美的一项传统。其后,油漆开始面向大众,红色谷仓的传统也在延续,因为红色油漆很便宜。除了红色,最受欢迎的便是白色谷仓。当然,原因很简单,有一段时间,白色油漆降价,比红色油漆还便宜呢。现如今,又完全不一样了,你可以看到五颜六色的谷仓!

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/tlwz/512873.html