读者文摘:魔术改变了我的生活(4)(在线收听

Something incredible had happened.

不可思议的事情发生了。

I might have caused it, but it had not come from me.

可能是我造成的,但不是来源于我。

I had inadvertently tapped into something visceral and wild:

我无意中发现了一些发自内心和狂野的东西:

the teacher's face, the shouts of fear, astonishment—and joy.

老师的表情,恐惧、惊讶和欢乐的呼喊。

The joy was the hardest to explain.

这种喜悦难以言喻。

Surprise comes easy, but joy never does.

惊喜来得容易,快乐却不易。

I was an alchemist who had somehow—unknowingly, unintentionally—discovered how to turn lead into gold.

我是一个炼金术士,不知不觉无意中发现了把铅变成金子的方法。

Even a nine-yearold knows this is impossible.

甚至一个九岁的孩子都知道这是不可能的。

You could only do that with real magic.

只有真正的魔法才能实现。

The gulf between wanting to become a great magician and actually doing it is enormous, however,

然而,想要成为一名伟大的魔术师与现实还是有着巨大的差距,

and the career of a young magician is marked as much by humiliation and public failure as it is by the occasional success.

公演失败蒙羞和偶然成功对于年轻魔术师的职业生涯都同样重要

In high school, I staged a show in the auditorium and my entire world came out to watch— 600 friends, family members, girls from school, everyone I wanted to defy or impress.

高中时,我在礼堂里举办了一场表演,我所认识的人——600名朋友、家人、学校里的女生,所有我想挑战或打动的人都来观看。

They all looked on in horror, fascination, and pity as I twirled about the stage, frantically trying to remember every bit of choreography from every David Copperfield special I had ever seen.

当我在舞台上转动,疯狂地想要记住我看到的大卫·科波菲尔的每一个特别的动作时,他们都流露出惊恐、着迷和同情的表情。

The audience sat mute, aghast, enduring the spectacle and waiting for the catastrophe to end.

观众们坐在那里哑口无言,忍受着我的表演,等待着灾难的结束。

A few years later, I staged a Harry Houdini–style underwater escape in the river that flowed through the middle of the campus of the University of Iowa, where I went to school.

几年后,我在流经我上学的地方——爱荷华大学校园中央的河中上演了一场哈利·霍迪尼式水下逃生。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/dzwz/514746.html