《远大前程》第2章 抓住一名罪犯(2)(在线收听

Before we eat,let us thank God for the food in front of us,said Mr Wopsle,in the deep voice he used in church.

我们进餐之前,让我们感谢上帝赐给我们面前的食物,伍甫赛先生以他在教堂常用的低沉语调说。

Do you hear that?whispered my sister to me.Be grateful!

你听见了吗?姐姐耳语对我说,感谢!

Especially,said Mr Pumblechook firmly,be grateful,boy,to those who brought you up by hand.

特别是,潘波趣先生坚定地说,孩子,要感谢那些把你亲手带大的人。

Why are the young never grateful?wondered Mr Wopsle sadly.

为什么这个小家伙从来没有感激之情呀?惊奇的伍甫赛先生不解地问。

Their characters are naturally bad,answered Mr Pumblechook,and all three looked unpleasantly at me.

他们的品行就是天生的坏,潘波趣先生回答说,三个人不愉快地看着我。

When there were guests,Joe's position was even lower than usual,but he always tried to help me if he could.

当有客人的时候,乔的地位甚至比平时还要低,但是,他总是尽最大努力设法帮助我。

Sometimes he comforted me by giving me extra gravy.

有时,他用给我额外添的点肉汁来安慰我。

He did that now.

现在,他就是这样做的。

Just imagine,boy,said Mr Pumblechook,if your sister hadn't brought you up—

正走神呢,孩子,潘波趣先生说,如果不是你姐姐亲手把你带大…

You listen to this,said my sister to me crossly.

你听着,我姐姐不高兴地对我说。

If,as I say,she hadn't spent her life looking after you,where would you be now?

如果像我说的,不是她花费很大的精力照顾你,你现在还不知在哪儿呢?

Joe offered me more gravy.

乔又给我加了一些肉汤。

He was a lot of trouble to you,madam,Mr Wopsle said sympathetically to my sister.

他给你添了不少麻烦,夫人,伍甫赛先生对我姐姐同情地说。

Trouble?she cried.Trouble?And then she started on a list of all my illnesses,accidents and crimes,while everybody except Joe looked at me with disgust.

麻烦?她喊了起来,麻烦?接着她开始罗列了一堆我的生病、意外及干的坏事,除了乔,其他人都用反感的目光瞅着我。

Joe added more gravy to the meat swimming on my plate,and I wanted to pull Mr Wopsle's nose.

乔又添了些肉汤,使那块肉在我盘子里漂浮着,我真想揪伍甫赛先生的鼻子。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/ydqcsy/530244.html