纪录片《药物依赖》 第13期:畅销药物(在线收听

I'm always looking for ways that I can squeeze more in.

我一直都在想办法挤出更多的时间

At one point I did think I'm going

有时候 我真的认为

to have to give up eating, sleeping or one of my jobs.

我会废寝忘食 或是放弃一项工作

It did cross my mind actually that

我的确有过这样的想法

if I could get my hands on something like that again,

如果我能再一次服用那种药物

it would be, you know... maybe to my advantage.

也许 也许会增加我的优势

I'm not sure about a pill

我不会用这种药

that would make you more intelligent.

这种能让人变聪明的药物

We're happy being a bit... on the thick side.

我们就这样笨笨的也挺开心的

Yeah, being a bit thick's OK.

是的 笨一点也挺好的

We'd like to think our drugs are designed

我们都一厢情愿地认为

for exact purposes,

药物是为特定目的而设计的

but they're not as targeted as we think.

但是它们并不像我们想象的那么有准头

We only discover where in our bodies

当我们服药的时候

they work when we take them.

我们仅仅知道它的作用部位

It turns out Ventolin inhalers,

实际上 喘乐宁气雾剂

a treatment for asthma,

一种治疗哮喘的药物

can also prevent premature labour,

同样可以预防早产

and arsenic, a notorious poison,

砒霜 一种毒药

is making a comeback as a treatment for leukaemia.

正在白血病治疗中崭露头角

Even the fastest-selling drug

即便有史以来最畅销的药物

of all time is not used for what it was designed.

它现在的用途也并非当初设计的初衷

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/jlpywyl/531077.html