《黑骏马》第7章 乔·格林(7)(在线收听

Joe turned me,and we galloped towards the house of the brickmaker,Mr Clay.Joe knocked on the door.

乔让我转过身,我们朝着制砖人克雷先生的房子飞奔过去。乔敲了门。

The door opened.Hallo,young man,began Mr Clay.

门开了。喂!小伙子,克雷先生开口道。

Theres a man in your field whipping two horses to death!Joe told him,his voice shaking with anger.

你田里有个人快把两匹马抽死了!乔告诉他,气得声音发抖。

I told him to stop,but he wouldnt.I offered to help him lighten the cart,but he refused.I think hes drunk.Please go,sir!

我叫他住手,可他不听。我提出帮他把车弄轻些,他也不干。我看他是醉了。您去一下吧,先生!

I will!said the man,and hurried off.

我会去的!克雷先生说,他立刻就赶了过去。

When we got home,Joe told John all about it.

我们到家后,乔对约翰讲了整个事情。

You did the right thing,said John.Many people would ride by and say it was none of their business.But cruelty is everybodys business.

你做得对,约翰说。很多人会擦身而过,觉得那不关他们的事。但是制止残暴的行为是每个人都应该做的事。

Just before dinner,the master sent for Joe.The drunken man was accused of cruelty to horses and Joe was wanted to tell his story to the police.

晚饭前,主人派人来叫乔。那个醉汉被指控虐待马匹,乔被叫去向警察讲述经过。

Ill tell it gladly,said Joe.

我很乐意去讲一讲,乔说。

We heard afterwards that the poor horses were so exhausted and so badly beaten that the man might have to go to prison.

事后,我们听说那两匹可怜的马已累得精疲力竭,还被打得半死。那人有可能要进监狱。

Joe came across and gave me a friendly pat.We wont al-low cruelty,will we,old friend?he said.

乔过来友好地拍了拍我。我们不允许残暴的行为,是吗,我的老朋友?他说。

And he seemed to have grown up suddenly.

他看上去一下子长大了。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/hjmsy/532163.html