四签名 52贝克街的侦探小队(5)(在线收听

We pulled up at the Great Peter Street Post-Office, and Holmes dispatched his wire.

我们在大彼得街邮电局停下,福尔摩斯发了一封电报。

"Whom do you think that is to?" he asked as we resumed our journey.

他上车后问我道:"你知道我给谁发电报?"

"I am sure I don't know."

"我不知道。"

"You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?"

"你还记得在杰弗逊·侯波一案里我们雇用的贝克街侦探小队吗?"

"Well," said I, laughing. "This is just the case where they might be invaluable.

我笑道:"就是他们呀!""在这个案子里,他们可能很有用处。

If they fail I have other resources, but I shall try them first.

他们若是失败了,我还有别的办法,不过我愿意先用他们试一试。

That wire was to my dirty little lieutenant, Wiggins,

那封电报就是发给我那个小队长维金斯的,

and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast."

他们这群孩子在咱们没吃完早餐前就能来到了。"

It was between eight and nine o'clock now,

这时正是早晨八九点钟。

and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night.

一夜的辛苦,使我感觉万分疲乏,

I was limp and weary, befogged in mind and fatigued in body.

走起路来两腿也跛了,真是精疲力竭。

I had not the professional enthusiasm which carried my companion on,

论起这桩案子,在侦查上我没有我的伙伴的那种忠于职业的热情,

nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem.

同时我也不把它仅仅看成是个抽象的理论问题。

As far as the death of Bartholomew Sholto went,

至于巴索洛谬·舒尔托的被害,

I had heard little good of him and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers.

因为大家对于他素日的行为并没有好气,所以我对于凶手们也没有太大的反感。

The treasure, however, was a different matter.

可是论到宝物,那就另当别论了。

That, or part of it, belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan.

这些宝物--或者宝物的一部分--按理是应属于摩斯坦小姐的。

While there was a chance of recovering it I was ready to devote my life to the one object.

在可能有机会找回宝物的时候,我愿尽毕生之力,把它找回来。

True, if I found it, it would probably put her forever beyond my reach.

不错,如果宝物能够找回,我个人可能就永远不能和她接近了。

Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that.

可是爱情如果被这种想法所左右,这种爱情也就成为无聊和自私的了。

If Holmes could work to find the criminals,

如果福尔摩斯能够找到凶手,

I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure.

我就该加上十倍的努力去找宝物。

A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully.

在贝克街家中洗了一个澡,重新换了衣服,使我的精神大大地振作品来。

When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Holmes pouring out the coffee.

等到下楼,看见早餐早已备好,福尔摩斯正在那里斟咖啡。

"Here it is," said he, laughing and pointing to an open newspaper.

他笑着指着一张打开的报纸向我说道:"你看看,

"The energetic Jones and the ubiquitous reporter have fixed it up between them.

这位好高务远的琼斯和一个庸俗的记者把这个案子一手包办了。

But you have had enough of the case. Better have your ham and eggs first."

这案子把你搞得也够烦的了,还是先吃你的火腿蛋吧。"

I took the paper from him and read the short notice,

我从他手里接过报纸来,

which was headed "Mysterious Business at Upper Norwood."

上边标题写着《上诺伍德的破案》。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/femstaqjsy/533235.html