《傲慢与偏见》 第10章(1)(在线收听

THE day passed much as the day before had done. Mrs. Hurst and Miss Bingley had spent some hours of the morning with the invalid, who continued, though slowly, to mend;

这一天过得和前一天没有多大的不同。赫斯脱太太和彬格莱小姐上午陪了病人几个钟头,病人尽管好转得很慢,却在不断地好转。

and in the evening Elizabeth joined their party in the drawing room. The loo table, however, did not appear.

晚上,伊丽莎白跟她们一块儿待在客厅里。不过这一回却没有看见有人打“禄牌”。

Mr. Darcy was writing, and Miss Bingley, seated near him, was watching the progress of his letter, and repeatedly calling off his attention by messages to his sister.

达西先生在写信,彬格莱小姐坐在他身旁看他写,一再纠缠不清地要他代她附笔问候他的妹妹。

Mr. Hurst and Mr. Bingley were at piquet, and Mrs. Hurst was observing their game.

赫斯脱先生和彬格莱先生在打“皮克牌”,赫斯脱太太在一旁看他们打。

Elizabeth took up some needlework, and was sufficiently amused in attending to what passed between Darcy and his companion.

伊丽莎白在做针线,一面留神地听着达西跟彬格莱小姐谈话。

The perpetual commendations of the lady either on his hand-writing, or on the evenness of his lines,

只听得彬格莱小姐恭维话说个不停,不是说他的字写得好,就是说他的字迹一行行很齐整,要不就是赞美他的信写得仔细,可是对方却完全是冷冰冰爱理不理。

or on the length of his letter, with the perfect unconcern with which her praises were received, formed a curious dialogue, and was exactly in unison with her opinion of each.

这两个人你问我答,形成了一段奇妙的对白。照这样看来,伊丽莎白的确没有把他们俩看错。

"How delighted Miss Darcy will be to receive such a letter!"

“达西小姐收到了这样的一封信,将会怎样高兴啊!”

He made no answer.

他没有回答。

"You write uncommonly fast."

“你写信写得这样快,真是少见。”

"You are mistaken. I write rather slowly."

“你这话可说得不对。我写得相当慢。”

"How many letters you must have occasion to write in the course of the year! Letters of business too! How odious I should think them!"

“你一年里头得写多少封信啊。还得写事务上的信,我看这是够厌烦的吧!”

"It is fortunate, then, that they fall to my lot instead of to yours."

“这么说,这些信总算幸亏碰到了我,没有碰到你。”

"Pray tell your sister that I long to see her."

“请你告诉令妹,我很想和她见见面。”

"I have already told her so once, by your desire."

“我已经遵命告诉过她了。”

"I am afraid you do not like your pen. Let me mend it for you. I mend pens remarkably well."

“我怕你那支笔不大管用了吧。让我来代你修理修理。修笔真是我的拿手好戏。”

"Thank you -- but I always mend my own."

“谢谢你的好意,我一向都是自己修理。”

"How can you contrive to write so even?"

“你怎么写得那么整齐来着?”

He was silent.

他没有作声。

  原文地址:http://www.tingroom.com/lesson/amypjsy/543912.html