20岁出头30岁不到的女性应该懂得哪些道理?1997年,作家帕梅拉·萨坦发表了一篇题为《年届30: 女人应该拥有和懂得的30件事》的文章,以清单的形式刊登于《魅力》杂志上。下面是他认为奔三的女性应该拥有和懂得的30件事:
By 30, you should have ...
年届三十,你应该拥有:
1. One old boyfriend you can imagine going back to and one who reminds you of how far you’ve come.
两个与你相处多年的蓝颜知己,一个让你随时可以回顾过去,另一个提醒你现在的你走了多远。
2. A decent piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in your family.
一件专属于你的精致家具。
3. Something perfect to wear if the employer or man of your dreams wants to see you in an hour.
一件完美的衣服,在你的上司或梦中情人想在一个小时之内见你时,你可以立马穿上出门。
4. A purse, a suitcase, and an umbrella you’re not ashamed to be seen carrying.
一个别人能看得过眼的钱包、旅行箱和一把伞。
5. A youth you’re content to move beyond.
一段充实绚烂的青春往事。
6. A past juicy enough that you’re looking forward to retelling it in your old age.
一段鲜活多彩的过去,在你老去的时候还值得拿出来细细复述。
7. The realization that you are actually going to have an old age -- and some money set aside to help fund it.
一番自己终将老去的感悟,以及可以支撑你度过晚年的一点积蓄。
8. An email address, a voice mailbox, and a bank account -- all of which nobody has access to but you.
一个电子邮箱地址,一个语音邮箱,一个银行账户(只有你一个人知道密码)。
9. A résumé that is not even the slightest bit padded.
一份真实没有一点夸大的简历。
10. One friend who always makes you laugh and one who lets you cry.
一个常常逗你开心的朋友,一个会让你畅怀痛哭的朋友。
11. A set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra.
一套螺丝刀工具,一个无线电钻,一件黑色蕾丝的文胸。
12. Something ridiculously expensive that you bought for yourself, just because you deserve it.
一件自己买的贵得离谱的奢侈品,只因你配得上这价格。
13. The belief that you deserve it.
一个你认为值得相信的信仰。
14. A skin-care regimen, an exercise routine, and a plan for dealing with those few other facets of life that don’t get better after 30.
一套护肤秘方,一个锻炼习惯,还有一个计划来处理那些从30岁开始不会变好的事情。
15. A solid start on a satisfying career, a satisfying relationship, and all those other facets of life that do get better.
稳步地开始一个令人满意的事业、一段令人满意的感情,及所有那些从30岁开始变好的事情。
By 30, you should know ...
年届30,你应该懂得:
1. How to fall in love without losing yourself.
如何理智地恋爱又不迷失自己。
2. How you feel about having kids.
要不要孩子。
3. How to quit a job, break up with a man, and confront a friend without ruining the friendship.
如何辞去一份工作,与恋人分手,以及不伤和气地与朋友对峙。
4. When to try harder and when to walk away.
何时该更努力地争取,何时该识趣地放手。
5. How to kiss in a way that communicates perfectly what you would and wouldn’t like to happen next.
如何接吻才能正确传达你是否想要进一步发展。
6. The names of the secretary of state, your great-grandmothers, and the best tailor in town.
知道国务卿的名字,你曾祖母的和外曾祖母的名字,还有全镇最好的裁缝的名字。
7. How to live alone, even if you don’t like to.
如何独自生活(即便你并不喜欢)。
8. Where to go -- be it your best friend’s kitchen table or a yoga mat -- when your soul needs soothing.
知道在心情需要抚慰的时候该去哪里:也许是闺蜜厨房的桌旁,也许是瑜伽垫上。
9. That you can’t change the length of your legs, the width of your hips, or the nature of your parents.
懂得你没法让腿变得修长,没法让臀部变得更翘,也没法改变父母的性格。
10. That your childhood may not have been perfect, but it’s over.
也许你的童年并不十分美好,但是一切都过去了。
11. What you would and wouldn’t do for money or love.
懂得在金钱和爱情的问题上什么该做、什么不该做。
12. That nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long.
那些抽烟、酗酒、吸毒和长期不刷牙的人,他们早晚会自作自受。
13. Who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take it personally.
哪些人你该相信,哪些不该相信,还有不必看得太重的原因。
14. Not to apologize for something that isn’t your fault.
如果不是你的错,就不必为之道歉。
15. Why they say life begins at 30.
明白为什么说人们会说30岁才是生活的开始。
What’s on your personal list of things to have and know -- and possibly do -- before turning 30?
在你人生的清单上,哪些你已经拥有和懂得了的?或者早在30岁以前你就已经在这么做了?
更多内容:英语口语话题
|