-
(单词翻译:双击或拖选)
This is a gentle delineation, is it not, reader?
这是一幅线条柔和的写生,是不是,读者?
Yet he whom it describes scarcely impressed one with the idea of a gentle,
然而画中的人给人的印象却并不属于那种温和、
a yielding, an impressible, or even of a placid nature.
忍让、容易打动甚至十分平静的个性。
Quiescent as he now sat, there was something about his nostril, his mouth, his brow, which, to my perceptions,
虽然他此刻默默地坐着,但我觉察到,他的鼻孔、嘴巴、额头有着某种东西,
indicated elements within either restless, or hard, or eager.
表现出内心的不安、冷酷或急切。
He did not speak to me one word, nor even direct to me one glance, till his sisters returned.
他的妹妹们回来之前、他还没有同我说过一个字,或者朝我看过一眼。
Diana, as she passed in and out, in the course of preparing tea, brought me a little cake, baked on the top of the oven.
黛安娜走进走出,准备着茶点,给我带来了一块在炉顶上烤着的小饼。
"Eat that now," she said: "you must be hungry. Hannah says you have had nothing but some gruel since breakfast."
“这会儿就把它吃掉吧,”她说。“你准饿了。汉娜说从早饭到现在,你只喝了点粥,什么也没吃。”
I did not refuse it, for my appetite was awakened and keen.
我没有谢绝,我的胃口恢复了,而且很好。
Mr. Rivers now closed his book, approached the table,
这时里弗斯先生合上书,走到桌子旁边,
and, as he took a seat, fixed his blue pictorial-looking eyes full on me.
他就座时,那双画一般的蓝眼晴紧盯着我。
There was an unceremonious directness, a searching, decided steadfastness in his gaze now,
目光里有一种不拘礼节的直率,一种锐利、明确的坚定,
which told that intention, and not diffidence, had hitherto kept it averted from the stranger.
说明他一直避开陌生人不是出于腼腆,而是故意的。