-
(单词翻译:双击或拖选)
I observed but two points in planning my departure -- speed, secrecy:
在计划逃离时我看到了两点--速度和秘密,
to secure these, I had to leave behind me everything I possessed except a small parcel;
为了做到这两点,我不得不把我的所有统统留下,只拿了一个小包裹。
which, in my hurry and trouble of mind, I forgot to take out of the coach that brought me to Whitcross.
我也在匆忙和烦恼中,忘了从把我带到惠特克劳斯的马车上拿下来了。
To this neighbourhood, then, I came, quite destitute.
于是我囊空如洗来到这附近。
I slept two nights in the open air, and wandered about two days without crossing a threshold:
我在露天宿了两夜,游荡了两天,没有跨进过一条门槛,
but twice in that space of time did I taste food;
在这段时间只有两回吃过东西,
and it was when brought by hunger, exhaustion, and despair almost to the last gasp,
正当我由于饥饿、疲乏和绝望到了几乎只剩最后一口气时,
that you, Mr. Rivers, forbade me to perish of want at your door, and took me under the shelter of your roof.
你,里弗斯先生,不让我饿死冻死在家门口,把我收留进你们的房子。
I know all your sisters have done for me since -- for I have not been insensible during my seeming torpor
我知道从那时起你妹妹们为我所做的一切--因为在我外表上麻木迟钝的那些日子里,我并不是没有感觉的,
and I owe to their spontaneous, genuine, genial compassion as large a debt as to your evangelical charity."
我对你们自然、真诚、亲切的怜悯,如同对你合乎福音的慈善,欠下了一笔很大的债。”