在线收听: http://talk.oralpractice.com/article_6300.html
A:There are so many people that the tickets are all sold out!
人太多了,票都卖完了。
B:Luckily we got the last two.
幸好我们买了最后两张。
A:Look, Danny. The Four Great Inventions!
看,丹丹,四大发明!
B:Gunpowder, compass, the paper making, and the printing.
火药、指南针、造纸术和印刷术。
A:I really admire those who made such great inventions!
我真崇拜这些伟大的发明者。
B:May, I don't see why they are great. They are just simple things.
阿美,我不明白有什么伟大的。它们只是些很简单的东西啊。
A:They look simple today. But they were milestones in their times.
它们今天看起来很简单。但在它们那个时代却是里程碑。
B:Milestones? May, you must be kidding.
里程碑?阿美,你在开玩笑吧。
A:Just think Bill Gates, those inventions are as important as the windows system.
想想比尔?盖茨,那些发明的重要性不亚于Windows 操作系统。
B:Well, I suppose the ancient inventors made a lot of money out of them.
我想古代的发明家们肯定从它们身上赚了不少钱吧。
A:No, quite the contrary.
不,恰恰相反。
B:Why? Didn't you say that they were milestones?
为什么?你不是说它们是里程碑吗?
A:Yes, but they went to the public without any patent protection.
是啊,但是它们没有任何专利保护就进入市场了。
B:Well, their inventors were not as clever as Bill Gates.
哦,它们的发明者可没有比尔?盖茨那么聪明啊。
|